need creative ideas for a dell poweredge 4300 server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Jun 24, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i recently acquired a dell poweredge 4300 server from a friend. he found it one night when he was trashpicking. it's in decent shape with the exception of the following:
    front door has broken plastic holders, so it falls off easily (not a big deal, looks cooler without it in my opinion)
    missing 4 of the scsi drive caddys (reasonably priced on ebay)
    i don't have the keys, but it's not locked

anyways, it's only a dual pentium II 450mhz (only has one processor currently) and has no hard drives or ram. it has a scsi tape drive and cd rom + floppy.
    i doubt i'm actually going to power it on and use it as a server, because i have a whisper quiet amd pc doing great in my closet at the moment.

it has wheels on the bottom, which makes moving it so much easier. it must weigh 70lbs and its built like a tank.
    i was thinking of making it into a coffee table with white cathodes underneath. how could i go about powering some computer cathodes without a loud power supply on?

i'm sure some people will hate me for not using it, but scsi is just not practical for a home storage solution on a budget
    anyone else have any ideas for this server?
    [​IMG]
    i'll take a picture of it tomorrow

2. RiSk

RiSk New Member

Make it Samba server or a juke box......put a sata card in it and get rid of the SCSI

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That actually looks badass. :cool:

And you got this free?

What the hell, why not just get the couple of pieces parts it takes to put it back together?

You could get a pair of 1ghz cpu's for next to nothing these days.

That would make one badass home server.

4. dorkultra

i would make it a server, but i require something quiet. this server has 5 fans in it, plus 3 power supplies, it's insane!

i think it tops out at 700mhz pentium II. if i ever plan on using it, i'd ditch the scsi anyways, maybe ditch the system board all together, if i could fit something else in there.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Depending on how much storage you would need, you can get scsi drives dirt cheap if you stay a couple of sizes down from the largest available.
    You can get fairly new 73gb scsi drives for less than $50 with warranty still on them.

6. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

i actually recently got a poweredge 6400 for $10. It's got quad 700Mhz xeon processors, 2 GB RAM, 5 18.5 GB SCSI hard drives. It's pretty sick. It weighs 110lbs, so carrying it up 2 flights of stairs sucked. But I'm not sure what to do with mine. I've considered selling it if I don't use it as a server... (seriously, what would I need with it that a simple small server couldn't do?). I wonder how much I could get for it

7. dorkultra

well, heres the pix:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (minus the door, needs a good scrubbing also)

[​IMG]
    (3 power swappable power supplies!)

[​IMG]

5 fans!
    as far as scsi goes, i have 2 200gb and 2 300gb pata drives in 2 separate raid 1 configs, i don't need the speed of scsi, but thanks for the suggestion

8. dew

dew Banned

you could swap out the mobo :dunno: whatever you do that pretty fucking cool.

9. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

im just curious, what is the stuff under the cd rom drive? i dont know if mine came with that

10. dorkultra

under the cd rom drive is a tape drive that takes up 2 bays. i've never seen one like it before

a friend of mine suggested to get 3 more hard drive caddys and line them with velvet or something and make them remote control holders. i have 6 remote controls that would fit.