*need car audio help*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by saint jimmy88, Dec 2, 2005.

1. saint jimmy88

saint jimmy88 New Member

i've got a 1993 ford f-150 standard cab and i want to get a nice, clean sounding system for it. i need to replace the front and rear speakers and i want a sub, probably a 10. i need to drive with the seat all the way back, if that helps. i need a head unit as well... i want a relatively cheap system, but i want it to sound really good and be able to crank it up and open my windows and it still sounds good without distortion.

I don't want to spend any more than $600, but i'm willing to go up to about $700

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. GSteg

GSteg Member

Hrm...$600-700 budget will get you a pretty decent setup, but you'll probably have to buy used though to get your money's worth, unless you want new mediocre stuff.

Just don't expect too much from a single 10" if you want to roll down your windows and crank it up without much distortion. A single 10" will stress at some point (distortion increases as you crank up the volume, applies to most general subs).

What size speakers do you have? If you really wanted sound quality, spend more on the front speakers and ditch the rear speakers altogether, unless you really care what your passengers think of your music :big grin:

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

$700 isn't really enough for a deck, 4 speakers and a sub.

I'd recommend a Pioneer 370 - 470MP or some other $125 - 150 head unit with decent tuning options.

Factor in $175 for a sub and enclosure if you make it yourself.
    Something like a Kv2 from www.edesignaudio.com These are nice because they don't require a lot of power.

Look for a $200 amp where you can bridge the last two channels for the sub.

This leaves you with about $200

Spend the rest of your cash on a component system for the front and your wiring and stuff. Leave the back speakers alone for now.

for wiring www.knukonceptz.com has some good deals.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I'd splurge a little on the head unit and find something with built in crossover/filters. This will allow you to be able to run the speakers off of the head unit and filter out sub bass frequencies. as far as a sub and amp, 1 10" in a sealed box with about 250-300 watts would probably be fine. are you planning on doing the install yourself or having it done?

edit: most people will recommend that you forego the rear speakers and do some elaborate component set. This is a great option, but it may cost you a little bit more. I'm happy to offer product suggestions for whichever route you choose.

5. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Good point on the head unit.

And yes, for now I'd recommend a component set up front. If you're already running an amp for a small 10" sub you might as well just get an amp that can do both so you're not wasting too much money. But I'd take JRock's advice on the head unit. Save up another month or whatever over the holidays and do it right the first time.

6. tigerafro

tigerafro New Member

its hard to find speakers and stuff for 6-700. i wanted the same thing but for everything i want, it will cost me like 1900 for 4 speakers, 2 amps, a sub, wires, and install lus some dynamats? idk...but its gonna be hard. the lowest i found was 1000. it sucks.

7. saint jimmy88

saint jimmy88 New Member

i was thinking about getting this sub: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12512

but my dad was talking about this little deal here:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat54900050004&id=1118845473156
    is this any good or worth the money? it'd be easy to hide under my seat or behind my seat..

and then these 6 1/2"s for the front: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12869

and these for the rear 5x7"s : http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11156

but i don't know what to get for an amp, or for a head unit.. any more ideas? i was planning on building my own box as well.

8. JaJae

JaJae New Member

don't spend more on the rear speakers than your fronts...

You'll need an amp. The JL is a good speaker.

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

You probably have 5x7s all the way around IIRC. That kenwood sub isn't actually the worst powered sub that i've heard, but you'll want to probably mount it to the back of the cab on a board behind your seat. I kinda figured that this is the route that you wanted to take, so the polks all the way around, a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X579, and a decent sub (listen to the kenwood and see if you like it and if it provides enough bass for YOU!) All in all you've chosen decent stuff, now go listen to it