Need backup software for Vista

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EvilSS, Dec 12, 2006.

1. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

So MS neutered the backup software in Vista. It's better for end users (easier to use, yadda yadda) but SUCKS for me since I really would like one feature of the old software: The ability to selectively restore sections of the registry. Gone in Vista. Files restore, rollback (which, btw, works much better than in XP), or full restore. I tried using the old NTBackup, but it only half works in Vista. You can open BKF files with it and get stuff out, but it can't properly talk to the Vista Shadow Copy service to back up the system state.

So, anyone know of a tool that can do this. Here is a list of tools THAT CAN NOT (So punch yourself in the nutz if you reply suggesting any of them):

Acronis True Image (I am using this for full backup, but no go on selective registry restore)

Vembu - Doesn't play well with Vista

Vista's Backup software

Norton Ghost

p.s. Don't suggest regedit. I know I can copy the entire registry out all. Too manual. Want automation.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You could never automate a recovery process so I'm confused at what you're trying to do.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Automate the backup. Gezz.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

At any rate, you can automate the export and import of a .reg file - just depends on what you're trying to do.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

OK, let me rephrase it: p.s. Don't suggest regedit. I know I can copy the entire registry out all. It's a half-assed solution and I'm looking for something that will allow me to use one tool for both file and registry restores and that allows selective restoration of both.