LGBT Need assistance in buying two thank you presents

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by RyRy, Apr 24, 2009.

1. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

:hay: I would like some ideas in what to get my Grandmother for two Thank You presents. I'm normally not one to do things like this but I've been living with her now for awhile since I sold my house and I will be here about 3-4 days a week from now on until I am done with school to help her out with things around the house. (Driving about 3-400 miles per week to do so). Anyway I would just like some ideas on two things to buy/get done for her. So far here's what I'm thinking and why and possibly ya'll could help me out. She refuses to let me help with any of the utilities, barely lets me buy my own groceries and thinks she has to take care of me so I want a way to say thanks to her for everything. She also loaned about 5k to my cousin so they could buy a house and since then (6+ months ago) they have yet to make any payments back to her, instead they have went out and bought a new 60" cut riding lawn mower, brand new furniture for their house, etc. and Grandma is starting to worry more and more that she isn't going to see the money back from them. IF I had the spare cash I would just go put it in her bank to ease her worrying but I don't have that much disposable money to put in there. This increasingly makes me feel terrible for her not letting me pay for lights/water/cable, etc. Shit she barely lets me pay for my own internet :rofl: Anways... Thanks! :wavey:

1. TV Her current TV is from 93 or 95 and it's a 26" analog console TV. Recently she has lost the ability to watch several of her stations for no apparent reason and I cannot find anyone willing to work on it. It's still in great shape but She's paying 60 bucks a month for cable and can't see at least 20 stations now. The problem is that I would have to buy a TV that is "grandma easy" to learn. I was thinking a 32-42" Sanyo/Vizio from Wal Mart.

2. New Stove. I absolutely hate her stove! Mostly because it's gas but also because it's black and white (mostly black) and the rest of her appliances are white. It still works fine but I was thinking of buying her a new electric stove with the flat top so it's easier for her to clean as well. Plus it's one less thing for me to worry about on the days while I am at college. Recently since her fall a few times she has left a burner on Light and the house filled with gas pretty quickly.

3. Someone to come in and clean her house once every week or two weeks. However since I am the one that does this now, I kinda find it pointless to pay someone what I can do for free except for supplies.

4. Pay to have the rear bumper of her car repaired. Her car is in excellent shape except for the rear bumper which sets uncovered as it sticks out of her carport. Plus with it having a rear fuel tank when you spill fuel it gets on there.

5. New towels and washclothes. She has many but they are more then showing their age.

6. Pay someone to mow her yard. But then again I'm the one that does it now and I have my John Deere plus hers setting in the garage so I hate to pay someone to do what I can do. However I hate mowing her yard because of the huge banks.

7. Take her on a mini-trip. Since her falls she doesn't want to leave the house very much, it's like pulling teeth if I can get her out of the house twice a week excluding the weekly trips to her hair lady and when she goes to church on Sunday morning. I was thinking maybe take her down to Branson or something overnight she mentioned last year she would like to go back there.

:dunno:

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I would never replace a gas stove with an electric one. Of course you could get a more advanced gas one.

Gas is far better for cooking since when you adjust the flame, the temperature changes immediately, while with electric the burner takes time to either heat up or cool down. Plus, she may not have the appropriate electrical wiring capacity to support an electric stove, especially if it's an older building.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

If she's anything like my grandma, she would KILL me if I ever replaced her gas stove with an electric one. It doesn't cook the same.

I would go the route of either a mini-trip to maybe some place in the USA, or just a night out for dinner. Find a nice place around town that has a good scenic view and have dinner. I'm sure just your time with her is a huge present alone.

Though, if she wants a TV, that would be my next choice :p

4. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

Either or both of these would be really nice. With the stove,however, I'd go with one of the smaller, local appliance places and talk to them about taking the electric back if she ABSOLUTELY hates it.
    I'm sure your Grams realizes that she is not as on top of things as she used to be and if you lovingly explain that you just want to make things easier for her and that you are concerned for her safety, she may just keep the electric stove. It is different cooking on electric but not that hard to change over really.

You're a good egg, RyRy :bigthumb:

5. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I have a Kitchenaid gas stove, and it's absolutely brilliant! It is all electronic and makes sure the burners are working and sparks them up automatically, not just leaking gas, and the oven is convection and has so many modes like bake, roast, broil, raise bread, dehydrate, and I'm sure even more.

If you want to replace the stove, I'd recommend one of these -- the Kitchenaid gas stove.