GUN Need an online gun value site

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Abraxis, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

My uncle died recently, leaving 8-9 guns. I need to find out values on these to know which my aunt needs to sell and which would be ok for some of us to hang on to. Rifles and shotguns, Ithaca, Winchester and Remington. Also a compound bow, if there is a market for those, (otherwise I'd like to keep it).

Ideas?

2. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

www.gunbroker.com is a good internet auction site. It will let you know more along the lines of what people are willing to pay for the guns, as opposed to a "set" value in a gun book

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I'll check that out.
    I wrote down what I could from these guns, but one I didn't find a model number on. It's an Ithaca over/under with a 12 gauge on top and not sure what's on the bottom. It's a rifle barrel though. All I found was "Ithaca 12-70 222 Made in Finland"

Any clue what model this is? Seems like a pretty nice gun. Not sure what cal rifle, does the 70 or the 222 apply? I'm not finding anything on the internet.

4. mrbill

mrbill New Member

5. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

the Ithaca is a 12/.222 rifle. I've heard of them before, but don't know much about em. Might be worth something. :dunno:

6. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

That's what I was thinking, but I don't know much at all about these things. Can't find anything online, and from their website, they don't make these any more.

Here's what we've got, if anyone knows a rough value, or where to get specific info, please chime in:

Ithaca over/under 20 gauge, model 500
    Ithaca over/under described above, 12 guage/rifle combination
    Winchester 30-30, model 94, built in '67...know a way to find out if this is the average 30-30 or one that stands out?
    Remington Rifle, model 700...nice rifle, I know this is what he took deer hunting
    Winchester shotgun, model 1200, 12 ga.

older guns, probaby from the 40's, pretty well worn from use:
    Harrington & Richardson Arms co. 410 shotgun
    Savage Model 3 .22 single shot
    Peerless (Remington???) 12 ga. single shot
    good ole Benjamin pellet gun. These things are fun. ;)

Beautiful compound bow, "Warthog by Martin". I know this was a good one at the time, custom fit. Not sure if there's a market for these?

7. oakie

oakie my ninja.

go to Barnes and Noble and order up a Blue Book of Gun Values. it includes photos and indentifiers to help find out the models of guns you have, how to fairly rate their condition on a fixed scale, and give you estimate values on trade-in and dealer sale, along with original prices based on condition.

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i use Gunsmerica.com as well as broker to estimate values. Quick look there shows the lowest price for an Ithaca 500 is $695 in excellent shape.

9. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Thanks, I think I've put together some general values for these. At least I know which one's to tell her to consider getting really appraised. The Ithaca's are pretty nice, the one shotgun/rifle is still somewhat of a mystery, but I did find one for $695. Still no model number, but it was made by Tikka apparently. I don't know enough about the Remington 700, looks like those vary based on specific caliber etc.

10. Henry47

Henry47 New Member

the "value" of something is whatever price anyone is willing to pay for it. List it on gunbroker and see how many people bid on it and the bidding price. Then take it off the market at the last minute. That'll show you the true value

11. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

The Blue Book of Gun Values would be quicker, easier, and more accurate. Gunbroker is handy, but say you post it on there, and no one sees it? Or no one is really interested in it? And besides, everyone doesn't use gunbroker. A lot do, but it only gives you a small sample of people, and that won't give you truly accurate results.

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

It gave me enough of an idea to pass on to my aunt. Of course, a site like that covers the US whereas a local dealer is just the state or region, so it might not be an accurate measure of demand locally. At least I narrowed it down to which guns she might want to get professionally appraised...and an idea of if that person is trying to take advantage of her by low balling a good gun and then offering to buy it. Hoping I can get a couple of them, but not the more valuable ones.