Need an Interesting Topic

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ctang CG5, Jun 30, 2003.

1. ctang CG5

ctang CG5 New Member

hey guys, to be frank this is for an essay i have to write, yes over summer, and the rough draft is due this week and i forgot to even think of a topic. My essay has to be in the computer area or technology related. I wanna ask if any of you guys have any interesting news about computer concepts/theories/methods that are actually worth talking about. Anything related to technology and is fairly new or just worth explaining and investigating...oh well ty if you can help .

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Open Source vs Closed Source
    Modern Computing vs Quantum Computing

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

FTTH. :bigthumb:

Fiber To The Home..;)

4. ctang CG5

ctang CG5 New Member

what is quantum computing?

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

write about how SCO has no case against IBM.

6. ctang CG5

ctang CG5 New Member

hmmm i thnk i am going to write on something about RIAA and them trying to stop mp3 filing sharing...good topic?

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

That was one of the first things I was thinking about. Then I thought about it some more and really I think you'll end up finding its a law issue, unless you start going into the legal alternatives to online music and how they're managing (or not managing). Tough call. If you're really into it, then thats cool, but there isn't much of a technical angle to it (it has more of a law/copyright issue to it then anything).

Mmm, quantum computing. Good stuff.

Network/computer security (and any changes made after 9/11)

Wireless/Fiber - issues with "the last mile" (similar idea to the above post)

A not so technical topic: the "digital divide" could be interesting - cover the Internet access "have's" and the "have not's" and the issues that could cause in the next 5-10-20 years.

Hacking is always a fun topic (might be combined with the security idea)

EFF and what it stands for (well, not what EFF means, but the causes they stand for). This may not end up being too technical, but might relate to some of the RIAA stuff you're thinking of.

Privacy (or lack of) on the 'net. In interesting news, some congress folks in California voted for some bill (it didn't pass) that didn't protect Internet users' personal information (I think it was government/medical records or something like that). This lobby group spent $26 and got the social security numbers (from the 'net) on the congress folks that pushed for this bill. Then they posted the first 4 digits as an example of the lack of security and that those congress folks might want to think again. You will want to find the original news item on this - it was just a few weeks ago too...

Voice over IP. The technology behind this is pretty cool. It also mixes up the home phone business model (go VOIP using your cable provider and ditch the phone line).

The ramifications/advantages of RFIDs (Radio Frequency IDs). This is some pretty cool technology (small enough to be implanted!), but at the same time, how much tracking will we allow?

Read slashdot.org for 1 week (ideally, during the week) and you'll find a lot of technology/computer stuff.

8. ctang CG5

ctang CG5 New Member

wow thanks astro i appreciate the help. Now i am questioning my RIAA topic and i dont know where i am going anymore! Your computer security after 9/11 topic sounds interesting, but i dont think i can write a lot of stuff about it since i am not that enthusiastic to write about that. Adn i still don't know what Quantum Computing is....can you give me a short simple definition? anyways ty again for the help and i will get back to u.

9. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

Your best bet is to try and write about something that comes to you with relative ease, instead of something you have no clue about. i.e quantum computing. reason being if you choose a topic you're fairly in touch with, the research will flow and you can strenghten your arguement.

a relatively simple topic to discuss in length would be what the government is doing post 9/11 with regards to utilizing technology and homeland security. i like FTTH (fibre to the home) which is an initiative to bringing fibre optic cabling to your footstep and essentially replacing the old and aging copper infrastructure. preparing our homes and neighborhoods for the future with communication medium that will enable us to harmonize both work and play right into the next century.

http://www.ftthcouncil.org/

10. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'd partially disagree with The Bastard. The point about a research project is to learn about that subject, right? Although if you at least know a little bit about what you want to cover, then that is a huge help.

If security isn't your thing, then don't go there. Trust me. It will suck if you're heart isn't into reading into that stuff. So go ahead and skip the security.

Onto quantum computing:

I'm not a physicist (I can just barely spell it). There's folks out there that are playing with electrons and other particles and have found you can do computations with them by studying the particles properties. I'm not sure I fully understand the concept at a particle level, but for computer science, this boils down to tossing an equation at a quantum computer and in one processing step (which I'd believe would be uber-fast), it would give you every possible solution (the wrong solutions and the right solutions).

What would this mean? (all of this is theory)

- Every single encryption algorithm could easily be broken (binary based)
    - Really really secure encryption algorithms made (quantum based)
    - Complex math problems solved in no time
    - DNA/gnome/genes/(whatever) studying/research sped up/mapped
    - Possibility to cure every disease via medicine (in theory, desktop quantum computers for the home with the right software could do this)
    - If every disease can be cured, then it could very well be possible to produce a medicine that targets and kills out a particular humar trait
    - Way better understanding of nature - for the first time, quantum computers may allow us to alter nature (the Star Trek type stuff like transporters, warp drives, holodecks, etc)

An interesting idea expressed over all of this is will the human race survive much after the exposure of quantum computers?

The last I heard, 8-bit and 16-bit quantum computers have been built and 64-bit and beyond was not going to be a problem (I wouldn't be surprised if by now they have it). This is all research thats going on. Its been predicted that quantum computing may be about 10-20 years off from being on your desktop.

If your into what the future has to bring, check out Ray Kurzweil's "The Age of Spiritual Machines". He's really good. He's predicting the future, but he's got a TON of "well, we're researching this and we know this and its a matter of time before we get to this, so in 5 years we'll have this in one form or another" (aka: he has a lot of facts and research to support his predictions/forecasts). He talks about quantum computers and gets pretty technical about it as well as the effects of them.

If this sounds interesting, do some light research to see if the idea still grabs you and then run with it.

11. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

If you're into the coding aspect of computer technology, anything on AI and its current state might be interesting. AI hasn't made the amount of progress folks were thinking it would.

Another thought is robots. Might even go so far as the battle bot programs seen on TV. That could be kind of fun actually. Over at Borders they had a battle bot kit for $99 (which I'd guess you could find cheaper else where on the 'net). You might cover the progress made and what effects this might have in 5, 10, 20 years (might be good timing with the new Terminator movie too).

Ok, I think I'm out of ideas.

Back in the day, I did research on BBSs and then the Internet (back in '96 when it just taking off).