Need an external HD (enclosure)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by et3rnul, Apr 16, 2007.

1. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

I need an external HD for the basic video editing class that I'm taking. Should I just buy a ready-made or construct one with internal + enclosure? Do you guys have any recommendations? Reliability + Speed is always good. The class focuses on Final Cut Pro, so maybe Firewire would be good? Currently looking at externals from WD and Lacie.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Get an *aluminum* enclosure from newegg. I have had good experience with Kingwin as a brand. They are also inexpensive, to boot. For the money, it's worth getting a unit that supports both firewire and USB. However, if you can guarantee that all machines needing the external drive will have FW-800, then that is the fastest medium. Otherwise, get a USB2.0/FW-400 enclosure and stuff a Seagate hard drive in it.

3. Create

Create :free at last:

Does this HDD need to be able to travel from home to school with regularity? If so, we want to support the fastest interface you can regularly get at school.

SATA (I/II or eSATA) or Firewire (800 only) AKA 1394 (b only) are preferred.

USB 2.0/1.0 is the most common interface. If you go this route you're going to have to copy your files to a local drive before you do any editing. Then, copy back to the external to move them. This will really suck. Don't use usb if at all possible. Firewire 400 (AKA 1394a) is better, but not fast enough IMO.

Firewire is about 1/3 the speed of SATA. The advantage of Firewire is that you *may* not have to plug in power for your enclosure.

If you want to edit a file without transferring it to a local drive, go with SATA. It's the same speed as the internals.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  4. Create

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  5. johnson

johnson New Member

What kind of software do you use? I need something that will cut clips but still retain the original aspect ratio.

6. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

The drive will be traveling alot between home and school, but I'll be doing most of the editing on the G5s that the lab has. I'm pretty sure those have FW800 on it.

Putting in some raptors isn't economical for me at this point. Space & reliability are a must, since whatever is on the drive, I'll be turning it in for a grade.

7. Create

enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198006

Does the prof provide a disk space recommendation?

this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148142

or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148140