Need Amp Help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dekap, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Dekap

Dekap Guest

Well, im just curiouse, im not to expierenced at all, with car audio. Im buying a amp this weekend, and im curiouse to how, and where i hook everything up to? Does anyone have a link to a site that explains on a basic amp installation, or would anyone mind writing out some basic steps for a noob :)

It would be greatly appreciated :wiggle:

Regards,

Trev

2. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

Ok someone will probably post a link but I'll go ahead. I'm assuming you have an aftermarket radio.

Ok you have :

Power wire (red) which you run from the positive terminal of your battery under the hood, through the firewall, and under the carpet to the trunk or wherever you are mounting the amp. This wire connects to the input that says either "Power" or "B+".

Ground Wire(Brown)- Either screw the ring down to bare metal with a self tapping screw, or if you can find a bolt that it will fit on do that. Screw it tight, a good ground is essential. This goes to the ground terminal.

RCA's (red and black plugs) these carry the music signal and plug in in the back of your radio and plug into the RCA input of the amp.

Remote Turn on (blue)- on the back of your radio in the harness there should be a blue and white wire that is not hooked up, use a butt connector to connect them. If you have a power antenna, the wire will be hooked up, and you will have to use a t-tap to tap into the wire.

3. Shikado

Shikado David-Michelle-Edgar-Tony :wtc:

Just want to add that plan ahead of where you want to put the amp. If you don't know anything at all then better off let someone do it for you all have friend that know how help you cuz you might burn the amp. and kiss your amp good bye.
    Now, to the wiring. The color or the wire doesn't really matter as long as you hook up the right wire to the right location of amp. The best/cheapest way for you is probably to go with Amp. kit. They're usually cheaper than buying everything separately.

The power wire(usually red) should be a minimum of 8 gauge. Don't forget to add the fuse as close as possible to the battery(within 1.5 ft. of power wire from battery). Take out the fuse/batterey terminal when you're hooking up all the wire. Put back the Batt terminal and fuse when you're done after re-check if everything is in the right place.

Caution: Never let any part of a screwdriver touch your amp while tighting the connection.

The ground wire should be, if not bigger, equal guage of power and should be as short as possible. :)

The remote wire is really tiny I think it's 16 or 18 gauge.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2002
  4. Dekap

Dekap Guest

Any links to online tutorials ? with pics? lol ..

But thanks Shikado and Axilrod, you guys helped alot.. gave me a much better idea on what to do.

5. Shikado

RCA wire:

There are big arguments on the RCA's issues. Some says that RCA can never be run with power wire. Some says that they've run it with no problem. Some also say that the good quality/brand/expensive is better. Some says that they're all the same shit. As for me, I'm not an expert so I run my rca on the other side of the car. I also neither use the cheapest nor the most expensive rca on the market. Anyway, if you're buying the amp kit make sure that it comes with rca (usually 16 ft.) or u have to buy them separately. If this is a 2-channel or 1 channel (adding sub to current system), that's all you need. If you want to run this amp for 4 speaker inside your car (4-channel amp.), then you will need an extra rca cable.

I hope this will help. If you need more info, pm me. Cuz I don't want to be typing all kinds of detail without knowing what you're trying to accomplish. :cool:

6. Shikado

:dunno: I know that carsound.com has a good forum Sounddomain.com has all kinds of pic under member's ride. You might want to check that out.:)

7. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

Oh by the way, the best place to run wires is right beside the seat, just pop off the panels (god i cant remember the name of those things but they are covered by the door and when you open them you see them. Oh well i'm making myself sound like an idiot. But under there is the best place.

8. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

lets start off with what type of car do you have :)