need amp help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rebel, Dec 13, 2004.

1. rebel

rebel Manchester United > All

I ordered my 2005 Solo-Baric Kicker L5 12" last week. I'm getting a custom ported box built for them. My quesiton is what amp should I get. The RMS on these subs is 600 watts, peak is at 1200 watts. 300 watts per voice coil (dual voice coil) They are 4 Ohm. I dont really know that much about amps and ohms. I'd appreciate it if someone could explain all that stuff to me. Any ideas for nice amp without blowing my subs? I want them to sound good, and be powerfull.

2. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

get a amp that puts out around 500 watts rms at 2 ohms mono

3. rebel

I found

-Audiobahn A1300HCT
    * 300W RMS x 1 @ 4Ω
    * 600W RMS x 1 @ 2Ω
    * 1200W RMS x 1 @ 1Ω

-Audiobahn A1500HCQ
    *500 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms mono
    *1000 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms mono
    *2000 watts x 1 @ 1 ohm mono

-Kicker KX600.1
    *600 watts @ 2 Ohms

-MTX Thunder 1501D
    RMS Power 12.5 VDC
    2 Ohm Load 1000 w x 1
    4 Ohm Load 500 w x 1
    Dynamic Power 14.4 VDC
    2 Ohm Load 1500 w x 1
    4 Ohm Load 750 w x 1

-Rockford Fosgate P6001
    1 x 600 watts rms at 2 ohm

Any of those look good? Im total newb at this.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

audiobahn == no.

but if you have a solobaric, I guess you don't care if it sounds good or not, anyway.

5. rebel

Instead of cutting down what I bought, maybe you could suggest a good amp that fits your taste. Or better yet, since you know all about expensive things, how about you put up 3 bucks and buy a fucking AV? stfu you noob.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so me not having an avatar makes me a noob and makes my knowledge worthless? Okay. Interesting view.

You bought a solobaric... why? Now, if you are going for SPL, great. You bought a good sub for that. It will definitely get loud. If that's what you want, you should be very happy with it. However, if you bought this sub to listen to more than a tone or two, then your money could have been better spent. Elemental Designs and Resonant Engineering are two brands that come to mind.

But then you're ignoring the question because you feel people should have an "icon" in order for their opinions to count. Well, if you would like to generalize OT members in this manner, I shall do the same to you:

1) You have an avatar, and feel that others that do not are worthless. Typical.
    2) You are a dodge enthusiasts, usually going hand-in-hand with the terms "redneck" and "ignorant". Your responses here illustrate both of these points.
    3) You're from Texas. See point 2.
    4) You purchased a product, then come here for advice. You immidiately cut down the advice, because it goes against your purchase. Did you want advice, or not? See point 2.

Need I go on?

A JL monoblock would be my recommendation. But then again, you really haven't stated what you expect out of this system. As I have pointed out, it appears that you are setting up a good SPL setup but not something I'd ever consider listening to actual music. Ported enclosure? You're only furthering the point.

So have fun with your solobaric. If you want to listen to music and have it sound even half-way decent, then you will likely be disappointed. As you sit at red lights swimming in your disappointment, you will likely piss off nearby drivers with your craptastic bass hits. Fantastic. But maybe you are interested in SPL competition? Again, I assume not because you know absolutely nothing about this, and were considering Audiobahn... I bet you liked the price and physical appearance, yeah?

:rolleyes:

7. StraX22

StraX22 Stuckitude

It's always nice to have an amp with some headroom. If you find a good deal, I say go with it. Later on if you want to upgrade, it's not that hard to sell used equipment.

As far as my personal prefrences, I'm a big Lunar / Image dynamics fan. And I wouldn't touch a class D amp (SQ reasons).

But anything will get you started.

8. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

You didn't mention any phoenix gold or jl amps why not look into them?

9. rebel

Ok, I have already bought the Solo-Barics, no changeing that. What specific amp could I get to make them sound the best?

10. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

Jl and phoenix look into them. With the phoenix you can look into the old titanium amps.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

again, what are you going to use it for? If you want SPL, they go with a JL monoblock. PG has some decent stuff (mainly older) but I'm not a fan of the new stuff. To some extent, you can find decent RF gear, as well.

If you want SQ, then I would honestly consider selling the solobaric(s). I know you just bought em, but for the money you probably spent, you could sell for a loss and still pick up a good all-around sub (eD, for example) with no out of pocket.

12. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I agree the newer phoenix stuff is :greddy:

13. 04

04 Guest

Class D amplifiers work fine for subwoofer use. Many of them dont have high enough switching frequencies, or the lowpass filter is set below 20hz, making them unsuitable for full-range use though (which is what I assume you are talking about).

14. 04

04 Guest

I believe Mark Eldridge won the IASCA Expert 601+ Class in 2000 using some square solobarics.

The "problem" with the Solobarics is that they have a very high QTS, which means they are better suited for large sealed enclosures. When you place them in a small vented enclosure, you probably wont get an even frequency response.

Different drivers are designed for different purposes.

IMO there isnt any point in giving advice if you dont give him any reasons why you feel his purchase was a bad idea.

You're really overgeneralizing that solobarics are poor for sound quality. Even so, he may like really high SPL bass.

15. rebel

I want nice SPL, but I also want good SQ. I was looking at a JL 500/1 amp. Could that power both subs or just one? Would that one work for what I am looking for? Again I am a newb at this, so if you have any specific models of amps I should get I'd appreciate it. Anyone have any ideas on what type box I should get? Ported? Sealed? Size? This is going in a 98 Durango with the 3rd row seat. I was hopeing to get a box to fit both of them in and have it sit in the back with the 3rd seat down, and when needed I could put the 3rd seat up no problem. It measures 17 inches from the back hatch to the 3rd seat when the door is closed, so that probably isn't big enough. If I can't make it sound good with those dimensions, let me know of something I can just have in the back cargo area that will sound good and I can get it built, or buy it.

16. 04

04 Guest

The JL amplifier would be enough to power both subwoofers. It should work fine.

If you want sound quality, I would suggest a large sealed box. 2 of those woofers should get really loud in just about any enclosure (that depends on your definition of loud though ;) )

17. rebel

How many watts would be going to each sub?

EDIT: If I run the subs paralell they will be a 2 ohm Load. The JL 500/1 does 500 watts @ 1 channel on a 2 ohm load. So I need 2 500/1 ? Or Since its a mono block it will push 500 to 1 sub and 500 to the other? or I could get an MTX Thunder 942. 2 channel amp. It pushes 470 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms.

What is diff between RMS and dynamic power to an amp?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  18. StraX22

StraX22 Stuckitude

You can still tell a difference even if it's only for sub use, even though it's only playing a certain range of frequencies. I just like high slew rates and good driver control (active feedback). When you're competing in SQ, it makes a world of difference.