Need Amp for Adire Bramha

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan OT Supporter

I was wondering what kind of amp would be good to run a 12" Adire Bramha sub?
    I was thinking about the Pheonix Gold Tantrum 1200W or the 1200W Planet Audio, any other suggestions?

2. 04

04 Guest

Whats your price range?

I assume you want to feed it the maximum amount of power it can handle?

3. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

I would like to keep the amp under $900.
    And I wouldlike to feed the amp 1000-1200 watts

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

5. 04

04 Guest

WOW, that is quite a budget. Well, It is a dual 2ohm VC driver, right? Well, my brother uses a Lanzar Vibe 1200D, but it doesnt quite put out its rated 1200w constant into 1ohm and supposedly MIGHT have some reliability problems. But the one we got works PERFECTLY...

Its super inexpensive too, at only 270 dollars. I assume since your budget is so high, you might want something with a bit more power output. Harrision Labs audio engine puts out 1600 into 1ohm.

Directed 1100d would also be a good choice.

Loudsystem sells a crossfire thats supposed to be decent.....

Any of those will get you pretty loud though.

As for using a D2, that is way too much power if you ask me. IIRC they put out around 2400w constant into 2ohms, and more into 1ohm. Fully clipped that means it could put out close to 5kW or even more. Not so good unless you are a SPL burp competitor.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i wish it put out that much and a D2 wont do 1ohm unless its modded they put out around 1800 at 2 ohms wihtout cliping

7. 04

04 Guest

Really, hmm, well shows you the power output ratings are not always correct.

If it wont handle a 1ohm load stabily without being modified, then it wont work with the Brahma, because it has a nominal impedence of 1ohm with both coils wired in parallel.

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

yeah earthquade used to be realy good at rating things but now i see they are rating the amp at 3k wich is bs i had one of the olders ones before ti was even called teh D2 its was teh dhc200 or some thing like that wicked amp none the less but power ratings are shear bench racing factor any more

9. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

I second the DEI 1100d idea. Very nice amp.

10. FNG

FNG Guest

What about the JBL BP1200.1? Some of the people are using on the team amp forum.

11. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

12. 04

04 Guest

Why are they crappy? I know the JBL amps don't have a subsonic filter, but they do put out their rated power. How is that a bad deal for around 300 dollars?

Please do go on for days why they are crap...

13. Grouch

Grouch Guest

D2 puts out MAYBE 1800 watts at 2ohm and MAYBE 2500 at 1 ohm. they are very over rated and every review of them has shone this. None the less I have one and if you want to "mod" one of the older D2s (the ones without remote bass gain.) just replace the internal fuse with a 30 amp.

14. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

They do put out 1400wrms put their amps are so stripped down. The terminals connections are weak and no sub sonic filter and other small things that aren't really important unless your competing.

15. 04

04 Guest

:confused:

I would hardly call not having a subsonic filter and cheap terminals as making an amplifier a piece of shit...

You say it is for competition reasons, the only problem would be that the cheap terminals would be marked down by the judge in the install portion, and I really doubt that would happen.

Obviously the SPL tests aren't going to need a subsonic filter...

What exactly makes this amplifier so bad? I have not heard anything bad about it and was going to purchase it for one of my brother's friends. If you can give me any VALID reasons not to buy it, I will look into another amplifier...

16. Messiah

Messiah Guest

It looks like shit...... I would get the Ultimate Digitalis 1300, its a good sound quality sub amp and is around the price of the JBL

17. 04

04 Guest

:rofl:

My god you guys are killing me. You give me no REAL reasons why I shouldnt buy the amplifier, yet keep calling it a piece of shit.

What about the Ultimate Digital makes it better for Sound Quality than the JBL? :confused:

18. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

With any of these amps, would it be better to run 0 gauge or 4 gauge? And would 1 farad work, or would it be better to get two?

19. 04

04 Guest

4awg should suffice, and skip getting a capacitor. You would probably get more benifits from upgrading your wire from 4 to 0 gauge than installing a capacitor.

20. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

Here at Orion, we have the XTR PRO2400 that does 2400+ watts into 2 ohms. Just hope that you have the electrical system to back it up. :)

21. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

definately a US Amp either the 1000X or the 2000X

I personally would get the 2000X and if that is you budget then you are fine. I have it and love it

22. IspitHotFire

IspitHotFire 3 Greatest rappers of all time ? Dylan, Dylan, and

I was pretty set on the JBL, and had looked at the 1300 before....

I'll be running 2 Adire Audio Shiva MArk 3's (650 RMS), and since the d1300 only puts out 900 @ 2 ohms....

Would there be a big diff between the JBL and Ultimate?

23. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

The price difference isnt much. The cheapest the JBL BP1200.1 right now is $247+ shipping yahoo retailer and the Ultimate DD1-1200 is $249+shipping from thezeb.com.

The Ultimate overall i would say its a better amp by a small margin if you go ported it has a sub sonic filter and the terminal connections are in a good spot. The JBL doesnt have a sub sonic filter but if your going sealed then it doesn't matter. The both put out about [email protected] on a stock elec system I believe.

I'm considering myself on getting the DD1 and another 4 channel amp for my mids and highs :big grin:!

24. IspitHotFire

IspitHotFire 3 Greatest rappers of all time ? Dylan, Dylan, and

I meant in terms of power... JBL [email protected], DD1 [email protected]...

I'm most likely going sealed so subsonic ain't a deal to me (at least I dont think so)

25. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

ARC AUDIO 2500