GUN Need advise over AK

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Harry Pothead, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

A friend of mine purchase an AK Romanian SAR-1, I haven't seen an AK in action but I was wondering was it a good buy? Is there anything anyone can point out that's off or seems wrong.

The AK
    [​IMG]
    The left side, with Serial Number, and is that other text was engraved in there?? :dunno:
    [​IMG]
    The right side
    [​IMG]

These last 2 photos, is the cocking bolt suppose to have that little ajar opening to it? First photo you can see the shell in the chamber and the 2nd you can see the space. Is it suppose to have that space?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oh yeah this was bought from a pawn shop, and yes i know the consequences that come from pawn shops.

Thanks

2. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

the sar-1 is supposed to be one of the best ak values for the money

3. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

but of course, pointed at a safe direction :o

he paid 300

4. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

only one magazine?

5. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

What do you plan on doing when someone is in your house uninvited, ask them to step outside?? :ugh:

6. RealFastV6

Screw an SKS. I have a couple SAR-2s and they're great. SAR-1s are a no-no in CT.

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

so, then why are SAR2's okay?

8. RealFastV6

Short Answer:

CT Assault Weapons Ban names "AK47 Type". Supreme Court determined when challanged that 5.45 AKs weren't "AK47 Type" .

Long Answer:
    June 25, 2002
    To: Connecticut Retail Firearms Dealer
    Subject: Connecticut Assault Weapon Ban, C.G.S. sec. 53-202a through 53-202j

Dear Dealer:

The purpose of this letter is to provide information and guidance on the word "type" in the Connecticut Assault Weapon Ban, Connecticut General Statutes, section 53-2028, (Specifically, Auto-Ordinance Thompson type, Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type, and MAC-1O, MAC-11 and MAC 11 Carbine type firearms)

The Connecticut Assault Weapon Ban was first enacted into law and took effect on October 1, 1993. In July 1995, the State Supreme Court upheld the use of the term "type” to define a category of banned weapons in Benjamin v. Bailey. 234 Conn. 455 (1995).

Over recent years, the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit has witnessed a. significant increase in the number of weapons falling into the "type" classification described above being imported into the state by dealers and sold to citizens. These weapons are banned and their importation and sale is illegal.

The following criteria will be utilized to define "type" and administer the assault weapon ban. The presence of all three criteria will result in a determination that the weapon is one of the banned types. Other factors that may also be considered include industry trade manuals and publications and other expert sources that lend guidance and direction in defining the word "type".

1. Physical Appearance of the Firearm: Does the firearm resemble the make and model of the firearm being defined (i.e.- Avtomat Kalishnokov AK-47, Auto-Ordinance Thompson or MAC-10, MAC-11 or MAC-11 Carbine)? Emphasis is placed on the receiver as the configuration (stock, fore-grips, sights. etc) on the genuine gun may vary. The firearm must be substantially similar in appearance. It does not have to be identical.

2. Functionality of the Firearm: Does the firearm operate on the same mechanical principal and functional design (i.e. gas operated recoil with same bolt design and configuration)?

3. Interchangeability of Parts: Can the major components of the firearm be exchanged from one gun to another? Such components might include magazine, bolt carrier assembly, recoil spring assembly, barrel assembly, stocks, etc.

Some examples of firearms that have been identified as “type" utilizing the above standard, include (Avtomat Kalishnikov AK-47 type) the Egyptian "Maadi", the Chinese “Norinco" and "Poly Tech", the Romanian SAR-1, the Bulgarian "Arsenal", and any other "clones" or "look a likes" that meet the above standard. The same standard applies to Auto-Ordinance Thompson type and MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type firearms. The Auto Ordinance Thompson type firearms include firearms manufactured by Auto Ordinance Corp, Colt, Volunteer Enterprises Inc., etc. The "MAC" clones include the "SWD", "Cobray" and "Ingram" look a likes, among others.

The Connecticut legislature recently passed Public Act 02-120 that recognizes the fact that persons may have purchased these firearms from licensed gun dealers and other private individuals believing them to be lawful and legally possessed. The Public Act allows persons to notify the state police and obtain a certificate of possession if they purchased the firearm between October I, 1993, when the ban was first passed and May 8, 2002. The notification must be submitted by October 1, 2003 and a certificate of possession issued. The firearm can then be legally possessed in accordance with all other provisions of the assault weapon statute. A dealer can only receive and posses an assault weapon that has been issued a certificate of possession.

All firearm dealers are immediately put on notice that these firearms are banned and that the continued sale and/or possession of these firearms are prohibited. Any dealer that has these firearms in their possession is instructed to arrange the immediate transfer of the firearms out of stare or their surrender to law enforcement authorities. It is anticipated that the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit in conjunction with the Statewide Firearms Trafficking Task Force will be conducting inspections of firearm dealerships to insure compliance with these provisions.

9. RealFastV6

You are correct sir.

10. RealFastV6

Are you missing the cleaning rod?

11. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

sadly yes it is, missing a cleaning rod :o So we went to the range today, but for some reason there was something wrong with it. You see how there's that little space when the bullet is in the chamber. Well, its not suppose to be there. We didn't have time to have the gunsmith look at it so we'll have to come back another time.

and yes only one mag :o

12. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

maybe i'm wrong but weren't you the one we were trying to convince NOT to buy from a pawn shop? :dunno:

13. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I got mine new from a gun show for $300, it came with a 10 and a 40 round mag, and the cleaning rod and the cleaning kit in the buttstock, and the sling. I have only taken it out a couple of times, but so far it has been a good gun, and a lot of fun to shoot.