Need advice..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by interstate, Apr 29, 2008.

1. interstate

interstate New Member

Alright, I'm a college student, moving into a new apt by myself soon and want to get a surrounds system.. I don't want to spend a lot, and the system doesn't have to be crazy, because I'll be in an apartment. I just want something a little more than the speakers on my LCD TV.

Anyway, a quick look at circuitcity.com tells me that I can get a cheap system for like $300ish.. Are these cheap systems decent, or should I really look at spending a little bit more? Like I said, I'm not an audiophile.. I just would like surrounds and a little better audio than the in-tv speakers.

I have nothing that I can really use.. my DVD player is quite old, no upconverting.. I'd like a new one. My TV is a Vizio 32" LCD TV. It would be nice to have pieces that I could keep when I want to get a better system down the road, but that isn't necessary. I know a lot of you are kind of elitists, but I'm not going to spend a lot right now...

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

You could go with a nice receiver and a cheapish HTIB setup so you could upgrade the speakers later. Or you could just buy a decent full HTIB for this setup now, and later down the road move this setup to the bedroom or something.

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

:werd: i started out with a decent HTIB.. then down the road tossed the fronts and sub and bought much better stuff when I could afford it. :hsd:

4. interstate

interstate New Member

How much would a "decent" HTIB cost me? The $300ish range or more? I looks like they don't have a receiver, just a DVD player and speakers.. would I just get a new DVD player and a receiver if i wanted to upgrade?

5. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

don't get a htib that has a dvd player buit in! get one with a regular reciever. I have a sony htib setup that cost $200 and then I upgrade the front speakers to sony bookshelf speakers and a sony center channel bookshelf.
    edit:
    this is the new version of the one I have:
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...08394/catOid/-12954/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    front channels:
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...79949/catOid/-16882/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    center
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...80233/catOid/-12950/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I know it's not a great setup but for a small room it is great. Sub gets good base and the size of the fronts makes for a balanced sound. and then at that point you have some fairly good fronts and centers and you are free to upgrade your rears or your reciever at any time that money allows. the only weird thing about the sony setup is the sub is amped from withing the receiver which no other receiver will do so if you upgrade the receiver you have to upgrade the sub at the same time.

flame on audiofiles but it really does sound good for what it is. setup helps a ton!!!!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  6. Original

Original OT Supporter

:werd:

I bought the Onkyo 7.1 setup at Circuit City for low $400s I think.. can't remember.

I heard great things about Onkyo receivers.. heard their speakers weren't all that good but knew I'd get better front speakers down the road anyway.

You could get away with a cheaper 5.1 HTIB. I honestly have no need for 7.1.

[edit] Just noticed you said you wanted a new dvd player. How old is the one you have now? Can it output component or HDMI? If so you might as well stick with what you have since you only have a 32" tv.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  7. interstate

interstate New Member

It's quite old.. no HDMI outputs.. no upscaling or anything.