Need advice v. One computer for work and play

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I'm cleaning house a bit and am only going to have one main c2d/2gb ram computer in my main room/office for my business/work, hobbies (recording), school and leisure surfing.

So how can I best prepare my computer? It will be a valid copy of XP + all the current updates.

Currently, I typically use a free copy of AVG, keep it updated regularly + scan every night while I'm asleep, use Firefox for anything inetwebz surfing and XP firewall enabled.

I'm going to have two drives (320gb and 160gb) so I could possible use one for backups and stuff. I just want to make sure I have a nearly full proof system because down time is a :nono: and makes me :hs:

:dunno:

2. awns729

awns729 New Member

If you want absolutely no down time, a RAID setup might be for you. Even if one drive fails, you'll be able to save your data (NOT in raid 0 though, that's different). You'd need 2+ identical HDDs depending on the type of setup though.

If you're on a wireless network, make sure WPA2 Security is enabled. From what you've said though, sounds like you're good. Maybe throw in Windows Defender or another anti-spyware program.

If it's a dell, add a fan lol :)

3. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I'm super low on dinero right now so a raid setup will have to wait until that status changes.

Good call on the wireless security, it's not at the moment. It's a new Dell Inspiron 530 and even after hours of demanding audio work at high cpu loads, it's extremely stable. It's my third personal dell and they've never given me troubles.
    :mamoru:

4. Kashed

Kashed OT Supporter

Did you use the deal they had on slickdeals for the 530 and q6600?

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I bought ~2 months ago or so, they had a deal for an XPS with q6600 with 22" monitor for less then 1k but come the day to order, the deal was gone and the price went up to 1400 +. :hs:

I got my 2.33 c2d (1033 fsb) 2gb ram etc. with 22" monitor for less then 800. Not bad, not great, but I needed working computer within days.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

not sure if you are doing this already or not, but make your primary account that you use a limited one.

7. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

As in lacking administrative tasks?