SRS Need advice....stat!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Guvnor, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

So I am a member of several forums...just like this one. Back in Feb, I was on a forum and went into the "For sale" forum. I came across this nice laptop. Guy wanted $500 for it. I needed it, so I sent a PM saying i'd take it. I setup a place to me...we met, I played around with it and gave him the cash. Deal done.
    This Monday that just passed I started getting PMs from him again asking how's the laptop been working and such. I responded it's been great...I love it. I didn't realize until now that was his way of finding out if I still had it. He goes into this thing about the person he got it from was not honest with him about where he got it and come to find out it was stolen. He would like to give me the $500 back and he would need to turn the PC over to the cops. He says hell is breaking loose over this case. I replied saying, look dammit, you fucked me here. I stressed that my job would not tolerate me getting a "buying stolen goods" charge and we needed to meet asap to get my $500 back and he could take this laptop to hell with him. He then says he's not sure when he can get to where I am and he forgot my name and wanted my # to call when he could make it. I'm not that stupid. So I said...listen dude, contact me here or give me your #. I have not heard anything from him. The last two days he's been PM'g the shit outta me saying the cops want to talk to me and he needs my info....He promises they just want to talk. Fuck that! I dont wanna talk to them. I know what will happen....They'll tell me they are going to confiscate the PC and i'll be fucked out of my money.
    I thought well i'll just continue to ignore his PMs...well, that would be fine if it was a forum like this, BUT...This forum is local..Most of the people actually know me, so it won't be that hard to find out who I am. Not to mention behind my screenname is my actual info. I dunno what the fuck to do. I dont want to get charged with anything, but I also want my 500 back, if I dont have the PC anymore.

Ideas?

2. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

First of all, learn to type in paragraphs.

Second, see the bold. Can't you meet up with him and make the exchange? Just have all your emails from your old transaction at hand.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Laughable, just keep the laptop and break all contact with him, lol the police has got something better to do then worry over a laptop.

4. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Official police business is not done via a civilian who contacts you through PM, unless a detective shows up at your front door I don't think you have anything to worry about.

5. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

mod edit: show some love :hsd: My paragraphs are fine. Didn't I say he stopped asking to meet me now and just wants me to talk to the cops. If I talk to them, they confiscate it and he's out of having to give my cash back.

I'll take this approach.

Then why the hell do they want to talk to me?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  6. jones21

jones21 Uranium Member

you cant get charged for shit. If the cops do contact you then explain everything but until then, tell the guy you are not prepared to return it. You could never be charged with anything based on what you've told us

7. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

I thought buying items that are stolen is a crime even if you don't know. I am quite sure i've heard on the news people getting in trouble for receiving or buying stolen merchandise.

8. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

Nevermind....I love Google...

What is the crime involving receiving stolen property?

Receiving stolen goods is generally buying or acquiring the possession of property knowing (or believing in some jurisdictions) that it had been obtained through theft, embezzlement, larceny, or extortion by someone else. The crime is separate from the crime of stealing the property. To be convicted, the receiver must know the goods were stolen at the time he receives them and had the intent to aid the thief. Paying for the goods or intending to collect the reward for returning them are not defenses. Depending on the value of the property received, receiving-stolen-property is either a misdemeanor or a felony.

There are numerous federal laws that make it a federal crime to receive stolen property (e.g., vehicles, securities) if the property received was or had been in interstate commerce.

I didn't, so i'm good. F know. I'm not replying anymore to him.

9. Darketernal

They don't , if you haven't realised until now: the guy is a liar and a blatant scammer. Ditch and never contact again.

10. Darketernal

think about how nonsensical it all is, would you call the cops if you sold a stolen laptop. :rolleyes: lol

11. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

I honestly think he stole it and sold it to me. Now he got caught and needs to come up with the laptop. He told the cops he knows who he sold it to. Maybe if he gets it back, he may not get in as much trouble. Who knows. He's being ignored.

12. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

Curious, was the hard drive wiped or did it have information on it?

13. johan

johan Active Member

this is absolute crap. cease all contact with this person immediately.

If the police want something from you, a nice detective will show up at your door, and produce official police ID.

That this has not happened should tell you something. End contact now.

If this person insists on contacting you further, tell him this joke is in poor taste, and you will call 911 and report him. He probably sold his buddy's laptop, and is trying to undo the damage.

In general, Someone threatens to call the cops? Your immediate response should always be...EXCELLENT IDEA... I'M DIALING THEM RIGHT NOW.

They always shut up.....

14. 7960

7960 New Member

you're right, he can't be charged.

but his concern is the cops confiscating it and then him not getting his $500, which is a REAL possibility.

Eff U, tell the guy to get the money, and then drive to him to get it. Put the laptop in your trunk and don't open it until you actually see the $500. Then give it back to him and let him deal with it.

15. 7960

7960 New Member

and on the off chance he's telling the truth, he's fucked out of a laptop AND his $500.

sure he can sue the guy but even if he wins in small claims, that doesn't mean the guy is actually going to pay.

16. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

I just got this from him...

"hey man can you please give me a number to reach you at? I swear to you they only have to ask you some question thats it. You're not in any trouble over this at all. I just need you to be willing to let them contact you so that they can see that I'm not the one behind the laptop being stolen in the first place. I just wanna be as forthcoming and willing to help them out as much as possible!"

17. seismic

seismic New Member

That sounds to me like he's trying to shift blame to you somehow. Just ignore the guy. I think he stole it, sold it, and now he got caught and wants to get it back.

18. johan

johan Active Member

:rofl: :rofl: how are you supposed to know whether he stole the laptop or not.

And...Of course you're not in any trouble. If you were, the police know how to find you, they don't need permission from this guy to question you.

His request is as transparent as it is ridiculous. Get real.

19. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

maybe he's telling the truth. the police may not believe the seller and not feel like trying to contact the ts. seems plausible to me. strange that the guy doesn't seem to be interested in undoing the deal now though, but I think it's only right to at least see what's going on.

maybe you could ask for the contact info for the detective & give him a call yourself?

20. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Could be a relatively uncommon scam (my dad is a computer forensics investigator so I kinda know about stuff like this).

Guy could have sold a laptop for realistic but inexpensive price so you're not suspicious, let you use it for personal use for a few weeks (personal banking, online purchases, etc.) and run a scam like this so he can get it back with all of your personal information on it-- even if you format a HD it doesn't mean shit.

If you want to give it back in some form I'd probably put the HD in the microwave and bust it or just put a new one in there or something. Either way, if the COMPUTER is stolen they shouldn't give a shit about the info on the HD.

21. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

my instinct does not believe the guy's story. if the forum is so local then the cops should be able to handle the case on their own. if the cops really are legitly looking to talk to you, then this guy can just pass your forum information on to the cops. The cops can then talk to the site owner or use their methods to track you down. No one else needs to be involved, bottom line. the cops CAN find everything about you, if they so desire.

22. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

That's my thoughts...I'm willing to give him the laptop back and he return my $500, BUT at this point, by me talking directly to the cops, they'll tell me the laptop is stolen and they need to confiscate it....NOT. I can't get hosed totally on this deal. By him trying to get me to talk to the cops means they clear him, if his story is true, laptop is returned to owner and he gets to keep my cash.

I was told this by the forum admin. He said the cops could subpoena my info and he'd have to give it to them. Since I am now ignoring the guy, I am waiting to see if I end up with a VM from a cop. We'll see and i'll keep you posted.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  23. teo

teo . => ? => !

Don't give out your number under any circumstances. He'll just pass that onto some other dude who will harass you more/worse. I agree with prev. posters that something's amiss. If you do decide to 'sell back' the laptop, replace the hard drive before you do it. It's easy enough to do, and good insurance. You could always say it died a while back, if that ever comes up.

If the cops wanted you they'd find you. They would have found you by now. They wouldn't be relying on some random guy who sold you a laptop.

Why don't you just call his bluff? Tell him you don't believe him. Tell him the cops could easily have found you by now. See what BS he comes up with next.

24. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

seriously? :rofl: this whole story is laughable I'd tell that guy to go pound sand if the cops wanted to talk to you trust me they would know how to find you I would just block his screen name and don't answer any PMs

25. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

I'm glad you're being entertained... :rolleyes: