MIL Need Advice: Possibly joining the Navy.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soulfire, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

I am seriously looking at joining the Navy (For 2 years) in the next 6 months or so because I am highly skilled with computers/electronics and I know I would easily get a good job in the navy doing something I enjoy and getting paid well and trained more.

I am mostly interested because the Navy seems like an easy way to spend a couple years away from home and have some change in my life without having to go do college (I really hate school but I am smart). What I need advice with though is how to get stationed somewhere cool if I am going to be throwing myself into the Navy.

I live in the Bay Area and I really want to get stationed down at the naval base in San Diego so I can be close to home. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best way to do this. I have been told you can't request where your stationed because ultimately once your signed up the navy decides. Although, I was talking to someone today and they told me that I could possibly try to figure out if the San Diego base had any specific specialty tech jobs that only that base does; That way I could sign up to do that as my MO and increase my chances at getting stationed there.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  2. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

hahahahahaha

what you know, has NOTHING to do with your occupation. if you are smart, you will score high on your asvab, then it will open more doors and let you choose from more jobs. once you pick a job, the military will train you to do whatever that is, regardless of how much you know. you cannot test out of anything, you have to sit through all of the ez shit, it sucks.

as far as your duty station, goodluck with that. i do not know how the navy works exactly. when i went to meps, i got to choose 3 conus stations and 3 oconus duty stations. they told me that if the army did not NEED me to fill another position, that they would fill me in one of my preferred slots. well, low and behold, my first choice oconus was germany, and here i am.

do not let ANYONE promiss you anything. make sure it is on a contract. if you are about to sign a piece of paper w/o what you want on it exactly, tell them to fuck off.

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

What you know now MAY help you, depending on your job. The best thing is to forget it and let them teach you how to do your job.

So you want to leave home...

Now you want to stay home? I don't get it. If you want the Navy to take you, dump possibly over $100k in training and background checks on you, you have to be flexible to go where they want you to go. The only people who get to be stationed where they are from are the extremely (un)lucky and those who know O-7s and up.

4. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

The National Call to Service is pretty gay because I didn't get shit for joining but if you can utilize it, then it's a very very rewarding program.

Some problems though,

1. Your choice of MOS will be limited because of your 2 year contract.

2. You can try to "guess" what jobs will be needed down at NBSD but trying to first be able to qualify for said job, be able to select said job, then completing the training for that job, and then going down to San Diego is worse than a crapshoot.

3. Paid well and trained more in the military don't go together.

5. Soulfire

I want to leave my physical home and get away from parents. I wanted to go to SD to be close to home (my town) where my friends are.

Anyways, Judging by the replies it looks like it would be too hard to get stationed there by choice. I guess I shall just take the test, score high and choose a cool job. Wherever I get stationed, so be it. Its not really THAT big of a deal I was really just curious.

Another question I wanted to ask was... What are the chances of getting stationed at sea if you go into a highly technical field? Maybe this is too broad of a question to ask, I dunno. I would really like to be on land though if at all possible. That, more than anything is what I care about because I don't really want to be out at sea, though I would go.

6. LanceUppercut

LanceUppercut New Member

Don't. :greddy:

7. Jyokker

I don't know much about the Navy. My impression is that they are less specialized than the AF. They tend to have less total jobs, with each job carrying a wide range of skills and knowledge. I could be 100% wrong, but that's what I gather. Navy crew, where are you?

8. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

Maybe the Navy isn't what you want.

9. itski

itski Yargg

Dont join the Navy, Tech fields are usually a 6 year contract anyway, IT is the lowest with 5, hell ETs and FCs spend at leat a year just in school. Then it is a good chance that you will end up at sea. Which isnt so bad, as long as your homeport isnt somewhere in Japan right now. Good Luck with whatever though.

10. eter

eter New Member

just go airforce

11. Jyokker

Seabees FTW?

12. Soulfire

I would prefer not going to sea but I would.

Im still confused here. So many mixed answers haha. So what would be the difference if I do Air Force? More/Less Money? Better change at an IT job? More/Less chance of getting stationed at sea? If im going to do it should I just go for the 4 year for better options?

13. Jyokker

Have you done any research? The AF does not go to sea.
    The basic pay is the same across all like ranks.
    Go into the AF as a 2E2X1 and sign up for 4 years.
    You may go overseas.
    You may be able to get into 3C2x1 or 3C0x1. Big maybe...

14. Soulfire

This is doing the reasearch (sorta). I trust OT more than I trust a website :) I think im gonna feel like a dork if i switch to AF since everyone already thinks im going to the Navy but fuggit.

If I get enough people saying AF is better ill look into that. 4 years though... I guess I could do 4.

15. itski

itski Yargg

In the Navy it is a good possibility that if you take the IT job and stay on land you will be more of an RM dealing with freqs and antennas and message traffic and all that radio crap. No way to know for sure till you get to your command either. The only reason I ended up on the DP side instead of the RM side is because the other IT reporting that day got off the helo first. If I had it to do over again I would go Air Force.

If you end up on a small boy as an IT you will be doing both sides most likely. Then there are the golden shore billits that are on the DP side. My buddy got one. He hasnt worked since. Just stupid stuff like connecting cables and loading programs.

16. darnit

darnit New Member

GO NAVY!!
    GO TO SEA.. HAZE GRAY AND UNDERWAY!!!
    I love going to sea..but my NEC wont let me terminate my shore
    But seriously.. whatever you join.. dont waste it by staying close to home. Go explore. If you can handle puberty, you can handle just about any service.
    But as it was said.. for computer or tech jobs.. min of 5 years.

some Navy pics to get you motivated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and finally.. directly from the mess decks

[​IMG]

17. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

ok i havent read the entire thread so forgive me if im talking about something that is already cleared up

if you want a tech job in the navy, chances are you are going to do 4 years

if you pick one of these jobs, it is only your job about....maybe 1/3 of the time, the rest of the time you are a slave

if you pick a tech job, you have a FAIR chance of being stationed on a ship in san diego for your first duty station, and a SEMI fair chance on getting a short shore duty out there depending on exactly which job you choose

other than that you probably dont have much of an idea what youre getting yourself into, so just self lube if you decide to dive in ok? good luck on your testing and rate assignment

18. Jyokker

Who doesnt?

19. Jyokker

Who has that funny picture with all the services?

20. Soulfire

So many mixed signals in this thread so far. You guys are more or less pushing me away from the service. I really only wanted to go for 2 years and now you say i need to do 4 for an IT Job. I really just want to stay in the field of electronics and computers, and I figured doing it this way was stable and fun/change.

I guess I gotta figure some shit out.

21. Jyokker

If you like nice crap you have to take care of, join the AF.
    If you like boats, and sleeping in a bunk that some guy just slept in, go Navy.
    If you like a laid back atmosphere, but still want to fire your weapon occasionally, and also like sand for a year, then join the Army.
    UGH UGH UGH UGH HUH HUH UGH HUGH UHG - if you understand that, join the Marines.
    :wavey:

I know its a low-blow, but its not like you marines arent used to having your nuts smashed...

22. radhaz

radhaz New Member

The USN is a great place to "grow up" in but if you're smart you will probably still end up going to school. The training you will recieve in the USN will do you well but it's civilian carryover is marginal at best. More credence will be given to you for being military overall then for your technical expertise unless you are going to be a contractor for the government.

It's already been said but you won't get a technical rating without signing up for at least 5 years. If you talk to a recruiter they probably won't outright lie to you but they will mislead you to get you to hear what you want to hear from them.

Do yourself a favor and go to school, if you don't like college/university after a year then give the service some thought.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  23. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

regardless of what you hear from recruiters

IT will be the closest you can possibly get to sticking with computers in the navy, although you will work with communications equipment aswell

ET you will work mainly with radars/radios and associated equipment, possibility of being a network admin, but slim

and the rest is just vague electronics work like sonar gear or spy gear...

24. Soulfire

So anyone know the rough chance of going out to sea? 50% maybe? 75%?

Its between Navy and AF now. For the guy who asked about college I tried that and I hate it and the lame ass environment and I hate school period. Im smart but im the guy who always learns quickly through hands on training. I figure shit out quick and am able to work with electronics I pick up almost instatly.

Thanks for all the input guys.

25. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

if you pick a tech job in the navy you will get atleast 6 months of training (more school!) and the chances of you going to a ship are about 90% for atleast a year or 2 in your enlistment...cmon man its the navy...