Need advice on website development

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1997 CL 3.0, Feb 11, 2004.

1. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

Hi, I've been tasked by my computer illiterate friends to put together a website for our rollerhockey team (I've got 3 months or so) and one of the key features which everyone seems to want is a stats page. Now I'm a noob with webpages (haven't tried to do one in about 6 years) and I have no idea where to begin.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statistics?stat=nhlscoring&season=2004&seasontype=2

The table on ESPN is similar to what they have in mind although without so many fields. Probably only 7-9 columns with a maximum of 20 rows.
    Columns are
    Rank/Name/#/Position/Goals/Assists/Points/Penalty Minutes.

Other requirements would be that when one of the items say "assists" is clicked it will sort in decending order the number of assists and so-on for the other categories. Also clicking on a player name will take the viewer to a detailed personal page.

Currently I've hacked this out using excel to create a simple spreadsheet and embeded it into frontpage. However each time I update the statistics I have to go back into frontpage and "re-embed" the stupid spreadsheet to get it to notice the changes. I also currently have a seperate stats page for each of the following "Goals/Assist/Points/Penalty Minutes" as I haven't figured out how to get frontpage to pull the data out.

Now I know I'm doing this the most difficult way possible but I would go nuts if I had to update 4 pages with approx. 130+ cells 2 times a week.

What I ask of you OT is a simpler method of implementing this.

Thank you

2. "please donate to me your years of experience so I can personally profit, or experience self advancement or some form of satisfaction without slogging it out myself"

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

The easiest thing would be to write a website that runs off of php or asp, and have it query a MS access database and calculate the stats. Of couse, there is still data entry involved as you (or the other players) would need to add the new stats. You can't get away from that. Do some research, you'll need to learn a little bit about databases.

4. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

Thanks, that's all I needed. I know I have to update the database. :bigthumb:

5. XtremelyCanadian

XtremelyCanadian I play hockey.....EH

Ya, i would go with ASP with a little Access database, writing the code would be the hard part, after that you just need to update the database.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

only problem with going ASP is that it's harder to find a cheap host. Doesn't sound like he's getting a lot of traffic, so a free/cheap host to serve php and has a mysql database would be no problem. There are almost 3 posts a week in this forum regarding cheap/free hosting, just do a search.