A&P Need advice on rates

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by tenplanescrashing, Jun 15, 2009.

1. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I may be shooting a paid gig here in a couple weeks but I haven't done any kind of hourly rate + add-ons, just a flat rate for time, processing and a CD.

I don't have a lot of details, but it is a 70th birthday party for my cousin's co-worker's mom. They'd like me for a couple hours to shoot random photos of the party then process them and provide them a CD/DVD of them.

They also asked if I could create a slideshow of old photos from the 1930's that would display at the party. I can easily do this as long as they provide a digital scan of the photos. If they require scanning and converting, I won't be able to do so.

I'm no pro and don't advertise myself at all...this was completely word of mouth suggestion from my cousin. So for say ~4 hours, processing & slideshow, what sounds like a reasonable price to charge?

2. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

3. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

whats your time worth to you?

4. tenplanescrashing

honestly, i'd probably be doing very little, if anything around that time except enjoying a day off so extra money is always nice. I just don't want to overcharge and scare them off and definitely don't want to undercharge based on what I can do.

5. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I'd charge $350 for something like that...

6. tenplanescrashing

My cousin and her mom spoke about this (they both know the woman) and think between $250-300 is a good rate. The time spent there won't be as long as I anticipated, but who knows.

I told my cousin to ask the coworker what she was expecting to pay and go from there. If they go higher than the range, then she'll throw out the $300 number. If they go lower than the range, then she'll throw out the lower number. I think that's pretty fair.

7. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

if you're new and aren't advertising yourself as a pro, then what you said should be fine. That will cover the time of shooting, editing, etc.

8. tenplanescrashing

My thoughts exactly. Again, my name was just thrown out there when they were discussing things.