WEB Need advice on my networking project - small scale intranet

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by patina, Apr 26, 2010.

1. patina

patina OT Supporter

I don't want to go into too many details because I don't want the project done for me - I just want some opinions on how you would set up this network.

The scenario is that we are setting up a network for a very large and very successful car dealership that at the moment doesn't have any computers, zero.

So we need a server probably running raid for backup safety, I'm thinking 15 or so workstations throughout the dealership. Some for offices and some for the service dept and parts dept. Along with an electronic key safe type system that keeps the keys secure and organized.

As far as the physical hardware I'm guessing a router on the backbone and 10/1000 around the entire dealership? The budget is basically limitless so I could do fiber as well, I do want to stay away from wireless though because of security.

So right now just as a rough draft Í'm looking at a server which has a decent amount of hd space running raid. A router and a switch running to the 15 workstations, I'm guessing 3 subnets based on sales/parts/service. Around 5 network printers and 5 personal printers, workstations and nics.

Ideas? Advice? If you were going to build a fairly simple intranet network for a larger scale dealership where would you start?

Just some hints and ideas would be great - I can research and expound upon them.

2. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

3. patina

patina OT Supporter