Need Advice on Good, Cheap SUVs

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by miamiheat13, Mar 8, 2006.

1. miamiheat13

miamiheat13 New Member

I need a used SUV for under $5000. I would like it to have around 100k or under miles on it. I am looking for good reliability (aka not in the shop every month) and just a solid truck.

I was thinking about the Ford Explorer or the Jeep Cherokee. I am leaning more towards the Explorer because it is bigger and I like the overall look of the truck more. I was looking at 1997/1998s for the 5000 and under price. How is this year's model?

Thanks. :wavey:

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Jeep Cherokee FTW

3. Tundra_Jim

Tundra_Jim New Member

Toyota FTW. Find a 95 or so 4-runner... those v6's just refuse to die, and they have a nice setup surrounding them. They are one of the most problem free vehicles I've ever run across.

4. kaps

kaps :lurk: OT Supporter

The same replies by the same people from my thread :eek3:

minus Ford Exploder. I heard they were bad before, care to tell me specifically? Heard Ford has issues with certain trans..

IBitsaford

5. miamiheat13

miamiheat13 New Member

Thanks everyone but what I am hearing is that the V6 in the ford has a horrible trans but the V8 one is great. If so I am leaning towards the V8 explorer... thoughts? :hs:

6. miamiheat13

miamiheat13 New Member

I will definately look into 4-runners, thanks :cool:

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

no doubt the v8 tranny is much better than that crappy v6 one they used. IMO I just do not care for the ford body style. I'd say if you are looking for reliability then go for the TOY. It will not die.

8. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I'd vote for a 4-runner.

9. IslanderOffRoad

I've never had a problem with my Jeep products with the inline 6. Had a 91 Cherokee at almost 200k and it still ran great. Plenty of power too, you won't miss the explorer's V8

10. Tundra_Jim

Tundra_Jim New Member

I say toyota every time because I have had 3, and I have worked on/had friends with quite a few others. And I have worked on all of the domestic trucks and suv's and can honestly say that none of them hold a candle to toyota's reliability and all around quality of build. Nissan would be my second choice, but they have issues with interior parts crancking/rattling/squeaking... etc, and trim pieces falling off the outside.

The v8 explorer may be better than the v6, but in the end, its still a ford... I had a 97 f-150 with the 4.6 that randomly decided to sling a rod through the side of the block one time. not redlining or anything, just driving. I don't trust em.

11. miamiheat13

miamiheat13 New Member

Thanks everyone. Definately gonna look for some toyotas at the dealership. :wavey:

12. Tundra_Jim

Tundra_Jim New Member

You'll get a better deal if you search through the classifieds in your newspaper or something and buy from an individual rather than a dealership, but thats up to you.

13. miamiheat13

miamiheat13 New Member

Yeah I was on a few sites this morning and got some phone numbers to call today. :cool:

14. jdmlude2000

jdmlude2000 New Member

maybe look at a Grand Cherokee as well. i mean they aren't as capable off road but they are a lot nicer in general you can pick up an early model one for not to much. The V8 is nice little bit of a gas guzzler but still has some get up to it. In my head a early 90 Grand Cherokee With a 5.2 V8 without full time 4 wheel drive wouldn't go for more then 5 grand it may be up in the miles but no more then cherokee's or exploders of the same years. Grand cherokees are pretty capable still just to let that be known they are not complete off road losers.

15. somebodyelse

somebodyelse OT Supporter

NOOOOOOOOOOO EXPLORE!! HAHAHA, I have one, a 1996 Explorer. Very common problems with the A4LD tranny, mine blew up last year. It's supposed to be very common. And lots of things break on it all the time. Too much plastic. I hardly drive it, I mean, I've put 10,000km on this last year. Thats it, and I don't drive it hard, and shit still breaks all the time. But hey, it's cheap, and I'm a poor student :)

16. IslanderOffRoad

Grands are actually very capable for late model SUV's (90's +) Especially the ones before the current platform with solid front axles.

17. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

Fast/Good - Cheap - Reliable

pick only 2 of the 3...

E.

18. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

and Explorer = Exploder

it's a piece of crap, the guy I commute towork with has one (full equip edition) and it's a totall crap truck IMO.