Need advice on girl vs. college

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by zmiller91, Oct 11, 2008.

1. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

So, in the possibility of sounded like an ass hole, im going to put on my flame suit.

Im a senior in highschoo, so, obviously college is on my mind. And, im in my first serious relationship, so i have alot of decisions to make.

Anyways, ever since i was in eight grade i wanted to go to Colorado University, i never visited it, only researched it. As well, my best friend of 4 years wanted to go to Colorado University since about 8th grade as well. So, we made all these plans, made all these ideas, planned trips, etc. etc. etc.

However, my girlfriend doesnt want to leave Iowa (where i live) and doesnt want to go to a big college (opposite of me). She can go to a small chatholic college (St. Ambrose) and i can go to University of Iowa, and we would be 40 min away.

I wouldnt mind Iowa, but, today i just visited Colorado University, and i feel at home. I love it here, i would be proud to live here, id be with my best friend, itd be a dream come true, all of that. But, i wouldnt mind Iowa, id be close to family (they dont care where i go) and id be with my girlfriend. I just dont think id like Iowa as much as Colorado.

I have asked advice on other people. One said that she didnt go to Colorado and she said it was the worst mistake of her life, and that i should take a friend and go there. Others have told me that they go there, and never move because they love it.

Im broken between the two. I could fulfil my dream, be in an awesome place, and be with my best friend.

Or, i can be mediocre and go to a college for a girl i may not spend the rest of my life with. The answer seems obvious, and i will probably go to Colorado. However, i need to know how to break it to my girlfriend.

We have a long time till registration, so i could wait it out and see how things go. I could slow break it off and make her realize that she doesnt like me anymore. Or i can do it straight up, and tell her that i need out of Iowa. My only problem is, she is way attatched, and depressed. Her last boyfriend broke up with her, and she failed math, and i dont want to do that to her. So, again, im broken.

I need help.

2. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

Dont ever, EVER make your life plans around a girl, your going to fucking regret it

3. jonno

jonno New Member

Colorado.

4. Handsom3

Handsom3 Our wrongs remain unrectified and our souls won't

I had a similar experience in my life. I wanted to go to school in Chicago, but wanted to wait a year for my g/f at the time to finish up school. I made the tough choice and moved up here with out her. Of course it made her mad and we fought, but worked things out and did the LDR thing. When she finally graduated she wound up going to ASU and we broke up. I'm glad I followed my dreams and moved up here.

Also don't sting her along if you aren't going to wait for her. No one should ever have that done to them and you need to be the bigger person and let her know what your plans are and if she is willing to commit to whatever you end up doing.

5. Jovian

Jovian New Member

:werd:

Works both ways, Though.

6. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Go to Colorado and do what you've wanted to do your entire life. Yes breaking up with her might make her sad/upset but it's not your responsibility to keep her happy enough to pass her classes. You're seniors in high school. Time for her to grow up.

Personally I think if you know you're going to go to Colorado and leave her at the end of the year you may want to break things off now just so you have the year to get over her. The last thing you want to do is go off to a college far away from her and still obsessing with her your freshman year. I think you need to decide for sure what you want to do and then decide when/if you are going to break up with her.

If she wouldn't consider moving to a large school for you why should you consider staying at a small school for her?

7. fray

fray New Member

I hate to say it, but there's a good chance that you guys will not last beyond college even if you were to stay. You'd be kicking yourself forever if you pass up this dream, just to stay close.

8. 40 minutes is not "together". That is still long distance and you won't see each other until the weekends for the most part, even then it will be a decent drive every single weekend. Just go to Colorado. You can try the whole "long distance relationship" thing. But to be truthful, I know ~8 people going into college from high school who had a GF and tried to pull the "long distance, different college" deal and guess what...by the end of the year ALL of them were broken up except for 1. The 1 was my douchebag roommate who didn't even like his GF but still stayed with her, I think he is gay (literally) and just stays with her to hide that fact.

9. fray

fray New Member

Keep in mind though, a lot of these people may have broken up even if they went to the same school. College is a huge time of change. There's more parties, people, etc. and a lot of relationships fail - together or not.

10. kiri

kiri New Member

this is your first serious relationship, and honestly 99.9% of high school relationships that people try to carry on to college fail miserably. if you go to a school you don't want to go to instead of the school of your dreams because of your HS girlfriend, you will regret it forever. go to colorado with your friend and have a blast.

11. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

How is this even a question??

Your life comes first, not hers. Go were you want to go.

And besides, like others have said, high school relationships rarely last. You'll be fine...hell, your odds of meeting someone are better at the big college.

Where in Iowa are you?

12. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Your girlfriend is a fucking nightmare and you two will break up eventually.

I just seriously hope you are not dumb and pathetic enough to change your whole plans of college....to do once again what she wants you to do. You'd regret it for the rest of your life.

13. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

I live in west des moines. it sucks.

haha, thank you :bigthumb:

and thank you everyone for putting it into perspective for me.

has anyone gone to CU, or know anyone thats gone ther? and if so, how did you/they like it?

14. kiri

kiri New Member

if you're talking about UC-Boulder then i've heard a lot of amazing things about it and no complaints. i've been there (just walked around a bit) and it's a beautiful area and a really cool town. especially great place to be if you're a skiier/snowboarder :bigthumb:

15. Osiris^

Osiris^ Creepy as fuck son OT Supporter

This is probably the hardest decision of your life to date. The right answer is not to give up on your dream of going to Colorado. But then, who am I to talk? I switched universities partly for a woman, and it worked out well. It's not advisabe though.

Go to Colorado man :)
    Agreed.

16. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

no questions man, girls come and go.

17. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

dream college > girlfriend

18. iwishyouwerebeer

I have known people at CU and they absolutely loved it. I've been near and it's awesome :dunno: Certainly a hell of a lot cooler than Iowa (sorry Iowans, but it's true).

I pray you are smart enough to choose it over the girl because she sucks ass and one day you'll see that.

19. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Have you been to Iowa? I'm just curious, not asking it in the sense of "how would you know if you've never been here?"

20. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Didn't read the responses, but go where you want to go. As soon as she goes to a different college, assuming you are still together at that point, she'll end up fucking someone else. Or you'll fuck someone else. You don't want to start college with a girlfriend. Sorry to sound harsh, but ask anyone that has been in your situation.

21. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

time to learn to ski :noes:

22. iwishyouwerebeer

Oh I have definitely been there...never again :mamoru: I dislike pretty much everything other than the West Coast and North East :dunno: But seriously, Iowa compared to many other states = the suck.

23. digitalbs

digitalbs Active Member

Go away for school, see what you're made of. If that means you two end your relationship, then you move on and learn from it. Do it, very doubtful that you'll end up regretting it, though you likely will regret not going to Colorado.

24. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

It's not a bad experience for everyone. Some relationships DO make it through college and beyond. However, I don't think the threadstarter has one of those relationships.

25. Vysion

Vysion New Member

People change so much during college. You'll change and she'll change. Don't throw away your dreams because of a high school sweetheart.