Need advice on E36 M3 - Euro Spec

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by $entenza, Feb 20, 2008.

1. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

Bangkok, Thailand - Lausanne, Switzerland
    Ok, I live in Switzerland and I've always dreamed of owning an E36 M3.. growing up it was the epitome of the automobile.. I've come across a very good deal.. a 1998 Estoril Blue black leather interior with around 80K miles on the odo, everything is stock except for the exhaust. Guy says all services were done with BMW and has recently repainted the car due to vandalism. All for a lil over $13,000. What do you think? I know the 3.0L is a better second hand buy as the 3.2's had/has Vanos issues but this is irresistable.. I want to go see the car, what should i be looking for?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

these have like 295hp right? :bowdown: I love eurospec M cars have ~10 more hp

3. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Just make sure the vavle adjustments were done at least once. It's a great car but up keep is very important. I thought the 98 had the 3.2? I have the E46 M3 and it's a joy to drive:)

4. mcents717

mcents717 New Member

Yeah the 3.2 is in the 98.

Should have around 321hp?

Can you do maintenance yourself?

5. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

Yeah it's the 3.2 with 321bhp.. I'm not a certified mechanic but I've been known to take apart my car to clean it, change parts etc.. i'm what you could call a car nut! and my God Mother's husband has a garage so i use his lifts etc.. why? what were you thinking?? cheers.

6. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

I thought the US spec 3.2's had 240bhp.. or was that just the 3.0?

7. BudBrown

BudBrown i done smoked with the best of em, shot at the res

both us motors had around 240

8. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

yeah, us.
    eurospec :bowdown:
    210 kW/286 bhp :Bowdown:

9. BudBrown

BudBrown i done smoked with the best of em, shot at the res

i want to euro swap or s54 swap my '95 M soon :o

10. BombBuilder

BombBuilder New Member

The biggest problem area with the E36 is the cooling system, especially the upper radiator hose neck. It has a tendency to break over time. It's sometimes possible to reattach the hose to make it look secure when in reality, it's not. It depends how much of the neck snaps off. I've had 3 E36's and it's happened in 2 of them. Definitely grab that neck and shake it a bit to ensure the seller isn't hiding anything.

Take a peek at the brake fluid to get an idea if the seller is actually performing maintenance besides oil changes.

At 80k miles, a lot of wear and tire items will be coming up for replacement soon. Bushings and control arms for examples. If he hasn't done any replacement, expect to lay down some cash on maintenance soon.

11. +1

The upper radiator necks usually start failing at around 80,000miles. Also, look at the rear shock mounting area. If the car has been driven hard they can start to tear the sheet metal where the rear shocks mount. If the shock mounts haven't been replaced yet, they're probably due to be replaced anyways. There are a number of options that are better than the stock E36 mounts. Also, try to get the car in the air and look at the flex disk that connects the transmission output shaft to the driveshaft. Those go bad over time as well. While they're not hard to change yourself, they can be pricey to have a dealer change. Another thing to look at is the rear trailing arm bushings. Those are a pain in the ass to change. When they are ready to be changed you'll notice that the car wants to wander around on the road, especially under acceleration and braking.

12. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

Like most German cars, the maintenance is just about to start on this car with it approaching 80k. Like others have mentioned, entire cooling system replacement, suspension pieces including at the very least new shocks, front control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushing, rear shock mounts.

I would have the car checked out by a competent independent BMW mechanic, if it's in a solid mechanical state, the rest you'll be able to do yourself with a little elbow grease.

Those euros are beauties. I love my 97 M3, but man I would love it that much more if it was a euro :love:

13. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

Thanks so much for all your advice guys, i didn't get to go see the car this weekend but will do soon. :bigthumb: