MMA Need Advice on Changing Gyms

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by checkii, Oct 9, 2007.

1. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

SO I have grown bored with my gym. the hours and availability of good training is sparse. I moved, so its no longer as convenient as it was. And I feel like I plateaued a lot in MT. But I love everyone at my gyms. It's like a family and i think i would miss that a bunch.

But I did move closer to a different MMA gym that offers a lot better hours and more opportunities for me to try BJJ and MMA, not just MT.

I think i'm going to stop by tonight and take a look around. But has anyone else switched gyms and have advice? I just dont want to cancel out at my current gym, maybe lose some good friends (they take the loyalty to the gym pretty seriously), some insane MT coaches, and go somewhere that might not have the same things.

2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I switched gyms without issues. I still train at the old one once a month

3. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

How did you pull that off? Cause that is my ideal switch. I still really want to go in once a month for sparring sessions with everyone.

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

this is a situation where i think you have to be up front and honest, explain your situation and how you love that gym but need to find something that works better for you.

5. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Make moving be the primary issue. Tell him that it's gonna be really hard to make it consistantly, but you would love to come by everyonce and a while since you are so far away.

Just try to make him feel respected if you are leaving the gym. A feeling of disrespect is usually the major issue.

6. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i'm glad you guys understand. It sounds so lame that it would be something i worry about, but it seems like a lot of gyms are like this.

7. JordanClarkson

I signed up for the other gym, then told my MT instructor how my BJJ was so rusty and I needed to concentrate on that for awhile. I let him keep my deposit and started paying the daily rate. If I come back I won't have to make another deposit.

8. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

:eek3: Some gyms have deposits? What in the hell for? It's not like you're going to tear up the carpet when you stop coming.

9. JordanClarkson

more like a down payment. it was a year contract. the monthly contract is twice as much as the yearly

10. Mannaze

Mannaze New Member

Where are you switching from and where do you want to go, specifically.

11. Mannaze

Mannaze New Member

Checkii.....

12. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

whoops,

thinking about going to Undisputed. I'm actually pretty positive I am going there if they are charging what my co-worker was quoted at.

I checked their trainers and it looks like for the most part they suck. But the schedule is just way more conducive to what I need.

13. Mannaze

Mannaze New Member

They are really cool over there. I switched from City Boxing and went to Undisputed.

Baret Yoshida does the BJJ and Scotty does the MT with an authentic Thai dude assisting.
    They have a good MMA program but I think you have to be invited or show interest and go that route.

14. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

do you still train there?

15. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

went in today. met the owner, very nice guy. showed me around, and i liekd the place, but I am torn.

much more expensive than i am currently paying, but he was gonna match if i paid year in advance with no sign up fees.

only problem was the muay thai class was way too beginner. The price was only good through tonight, but i dont have that much in my account.

sucks, good lookign gym, i loved the grappling basement.

hopefully i can get him to honor the price later down the road.

16. Mannaze

Mannaze New Member

i still train there.
    I think the running quote is 129 a month at Undisputed.

They do have an advanced MT class and an actual MT techniques class that focus less on cardio and more on the good stuff.

Check out Alliance MMA in Chula Vista, tahts Brandon Vera's place.
    http://www.alliancemma.com/

And I've heard rumor that Randy Coture is opening a gym on Sports Arena soon.

So take that for what its worth.

17. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

yeah, i wanted to train at Vera's but its too far. Coutures gym was supposed to open in September, but i heard they are really expensive.

I've been at the Boxing Club for a long time now and love the MT team and love trianing MT under Mel, but the BJJ guys are kind of a completely different squad so I dont really feel welcome coming in as a real beginer and rolling with everyone. I think i'll have to find someone to train with before I start taking bjj.

I still might try and train at undisputed if i can get my finances back where they should be.