Need advice from you cheese and wine guys.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TonyMontana, Aug 22, 2004.

1. TonyMontana

TonyMontana Black and Gold

My parents are buying a new car. Its mostly for my stepdad, who just sold our old Z28. He works hard as hell, busts his ass everyday, and really deserves what hes looking at. I drove Both cars for the record, and thought the BMW kicked the crap outta the Mercedes, but I need another head in on this. Also, both of these cars own my LX/wagonx10.

Anyways Im pissed. Today we took out (for the second time, this time my mom came) A black 2000 BMW 540i with the sport package. It was my second time in the car, and I ****ing love that thing. Even the v6 was cool, but this thing is fast, sticks in the corners like glue, and breaks on a dime. Well Both my rents and I thought we were sold, and I went to work.

I got a call later saying They had changed their mind, and decided the 2000 Mercedes Benz E430 me and my stepdad had takin out previously was better. Aparently it was "just as fast" (which I dont believe, it felt slow as all hell last time we took it out, even though it has a 4.3 litre v8) and had more accessories, which I do believe, but I even liked the BMW interior better, not to mention it was waaaaay better looking.

So, heres the breakdown:

2000 BMW 540i/sport package VS. 2000 Mercedes Benz E430/4.3 litre v8

The Benz:

[​IMG]

the Dub:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  2. KERS

KERS OT Supporter

mercedes 430i? you mean E430? ;)

540i w/sport package would be my choice. but then again im a little bias ;)

3. amazon

amazon Guest

Depends...

That all depends on what kind of driving he'll be doing.

Local driving on twisty fun roads -> BMW

Long distance cruising -> MB

4. TonyMontana

Sorry, I did mean E430.. I was still feeling the Southern Comfort last night before I went to bed.

5. TonyMontana

My family does alot of both, Vancouver island has alot of twisties and they also take many long raodtrips to their summer place in Moses lake.

I am really wondering tho, how these cars stack up agianst eachother? When I drove the BMW as compared to the Benz, I thought it felt waaay better. More Power, Better handling, Better breaks etc. I didnt even think the interior on the Benz was that great, although i was assured last night it was much better than the BMW.

What about engine wise? The BMW went like a top under my heavy foot, but the Benz seemed a bit more sluggish (I didnt really open it up though) How do they Compare agianst eachother?

6. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

I would go with the BMW because I like cars that give a lot of feedback and make you feel engaged while driving. I have yet to drive Benz that gives me that feeling. Again, it depends on which car best fits your dad's needs and personality. BMW=sportier, engaging drive. MB=smooth, luxo cruiser.

7. suckmyexhaust

suckmyexhaust New Member

personal preference would be to the BMW since I am sport car lover and this one can stop on a dime and give you nine cents in change.

But since your step dad works his rear off, he might like the Benz's comfort features.

Best of luck on the choice!!!

8. TonyMontana

Does anyone with firsthand experiance with the 4.6 litre Benz engine? I am wondering, I didnt have a chance to open it up, but is it decently quick?

9. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

depends on if he likes the sporty character of the BMW or the luxury character of the MB...

10. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

As everyone else has said it comes down to the preference of either the comfort/elegance of the E430 or the greater sporting prowess of the 540i.

Personally I would take the E430. Why? I've never been a fan of the V8 engined 5-Series (save the M5) because in my opinion the straight-six versions were as close to perfection as you wanted. To me the V8 was just overkill. Plus the V8 versions used recirculating-ball steering whereas the sixes have the more direct rack & pinion setup.

And also it just struck me for the first time but in that photo the 5-Series actually looks its age. Still a beautiful car but just looks dated. The Merc on the other hand looks (and is) younger in design terms.

Either way they're both superb cars, the guy cant lose.

11. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Car's don't really mean anything by the specifications. It's all about the driving and what the driver wants from the car. If the car is more for your stepdad, our opinions don't matter. Now, I am going to choose the Mercedes. Sure, the BMW is all god on the twisties and gives you the best feel of the road, but after having a Z28, I think your stepdad may be tired of having the sportier car. The BMW and Benz will both obviously move. If your dad works hard all day, maybe he wants to jump into his Benz and just cruise home with the highest interior luxuries and the most innovative and proven technology. Sure, feeling the road all day is great, and BMW gives owners that, but when driving a car, one needs a car that can adapt to the driver, and I think the Benz will do that better than anything else. You may not have the same driving experience as the BMW, but you will not walk away from a drive in a Benz disappointed.

This is totally my biased opinion(just like above), but from my experience, BMW is a car people buy to match or out-do someone else for image. Mercedes-Benz on the otherhand, is a car you buy because it's the car you want.

12. TonyMontana

Thanks for the Insight guys. Been' appreciated.

And he has decided to go with the Benz. The BMW just didnt have the little extras that made the Benz stand out.

oh.. and my power woes are gone.. I decided to head down to Silver Arrow (performance car dealership here) and upon arrival, ask the salesman if I could take my families new car out for a burn. Needless to say it was pouring out, the car was waaay faster than I had first though,and I blasted some corners:naughty:

Ahaha I kind of felt like a schmo going from a Mercedes back into my rattle racer LX, but all in good time:hs:

13. chillhead

chillhead Guest

My old company car was a 2000 540i sports... Great car. Extremely reliable and fun to drive. Not in the same league with my M5 but most people can't tell them apart from the outside or from afar. Cornering in the 430 is like driving a shoebox. Don't get me wrong Mercedes is a great car and very safe... but don't take it canyon driving or on a road trip to the mountains. You'll be disapointed.

14. curiousgeorgeM3

Damn! What kinda job is that?

15. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

The right one?

16. FredBull

FredBull *******

####___####___####___###_ #_______#__#___#_______#
    can't go wrong with either one

17. TonyMontana

The 4Matic seems to make the car stick well.. I really like the feeling of the all wheel drive. It seemed to corner pretty well to me.. I still kinda wish the back end would break out but it wont on account of the 4matic...

18. TonyMontana

Update:

family got a great deal on a 2001 fully loaded 740i. Them steeringwheel warmers are cool:big grin:

19. curiousgeorgeM3

:bigthumb: Awesome car! Far better than what you were considering.

20. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

Nice. :bigthumb:

21. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Long wheelbases are hard to find. Pull good value over normal ones.