need advice for new computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Corp, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

so my 5 year old computer finally died, when i turn it on it won't post, and there is no video. I think i'm gonna have to replace some stuff, the problem is i haven't paid any attention to computer hardware for the past couple of years.

i took everything out of the computer and put in only what was needed, a video card from another computer, the psu, the cpu + fan, ram, and a hdd. when i turned the computer on there was no change, still no video or post.

after this I assume it's my motherboard that's dead, anyone else have any other ideas?

right now the computer looks like this:
    abit nf7-s motherboard
    amd athalon xp 2500+
    512 mb of corsair xms pc3200 ram
    nvidia ti4200 video card

this has worked just about perfect for everything i need, so i really don't even care much about an upgrade, i want to replace as few parts as possible, since i'm on a college student's budget :o

what do you guys think the best thing to do would be? i wouldn't be opposed to replacing the motherboard and cpu, as long as it can be done relatively inexpensively(maybe switch over to intel, i've heard that they're kicking amd's ass now :dunno:).

i'm gonna go try the video card from this computer in another, i'll post what happens in case it helps at all.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well your cpu ram and mobo are all obsolete... All three would need to be replaced at the same time if the cpu/mobo were bad.

if the video card was bad you can still find AGP cards to hold you over till you build a new machine.

3. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

looks like the card is at least part of the problem, i tried it in one of my dad's old computers and it didn't work, but i put another one in and it worked.

my dad said we should at least test the power supply, he said he wanted to check some of the voltages on it. i don't know how to do it, so i have to wait for him to look at it for me.
    anyone think this sounds like it could be a power supply problem?

4. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

nobody?

does anyone at least have a good suggestion of cpu/mobo/ram combo that's somewhat cheap?(onboard video would be plenty for what i'm looking for)

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You could do a tight setup with an Intel E2180, Gigabyte motherboard with onboard video and memory for around $185.

E2180 - $88
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116052

Gigabyte GA-G31M - $75
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128078

OCZ memory 2gb - $28 after $20 rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227189

6. Corp

Corp OT Supporter