Need advice: Buy a new computer or buy a new mobo?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Nucleartiger, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Nucleartiger

Nucleartiger Clemson makes my nipples hard

The Power cycled off and on rapidly about 15 times the other morning and now my computer won't start and the LED light is flashing on the Power Supply. It is an HP a530n and I used HPs troubleshooting guide to check the Power Supply. I got a normal indication on the Power Supply LED when I disconnected the Motherboard, so I think that the motherboard is fried.

So should I just get a new motherboard or get a new computer?

Here is what I have:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=404646&lang=en&docname=c00064822#c00064822_doc

Here is what I am looking at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1559986&CatId=1189

Never really fixed or built a computer before so please feel free to offer any suggestions about motherboards as well.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm not so sure I would trust the psu led on that one.

It sounds more like a psu failure to me than motherboard.

You could always try a psu tester for around 10-15 dollars or so.

If it wound up being the psu, it would save you a heck of a lot of trouble.

3. Doc Brown

4. Nucleartiger

Thanks for the reply Emmet I will have to get one of those and check the power supply for sure.

If the psu is good and it is a problem with the Motherboard should I be worried about the processor as well, or the memory sticks?

5. Doc Brown

If the psu is still good, then you probably did not have any major electrical surge that blew out the motherboard, so I don't think the cpu and ram would have been effected.

6. Nucleartiger

Well I had another desktop that is having Harddrive problems so I swapped the power supplies. The power supply from the old computer does not have all the connections that are required for the motherboard. (i.e. the mobo has an ATX 12V 4 post connection that the power supply does not have available. When I tried starting it up the fans and harddrive spin up for about a second before everything goes away. So I am not sure if that means that mobo requires that ATX 12V connector or if that just means that there is something wrong on the Motherboard causing it to not start up.

I put the psu from the newer computer into the old computer with hddrive issues and it starts right up so I am pretty sure that the psu is good.

So what do you guys suggest I check next. I "Think" that what I have proved so fat is that the psu was good and that there is something wrong mobo wise.

Thanks for the help.

7. Doc Brown

Lets call the computer of the original post pc-a, and the older computer pc-b.

If I'm getting this right, you plugged in the psu from pc-b into pc-a and got stuff to spin up for a second.

If I followed that correctly, I think it might mean the psu is dead on pc-a.

I mean you were getting nothing on pc-a when you first posted, correct?

8. Nucleartiger

yeah I plugged the psu from pc-b into pc-a and got it to spin up for a second. Which also made me think that it was the pc-a psu so I went ahead an hooked it up to pc-b and everything started up normally. So it seems like pc-a psu is good. Could the one second spin up on pc-a with pc-b psu mean that there is something wrong with the motherboard of pc-a?

9. Doc Brown

It does sound like it's the motherboard.

10. Doc Brown

That Tiger Direct board you linked looks like a decent board that has onboard video, sound and pci express slots so you could always put a serious video card on it if you wanted to.

11. Nucleartiger

Thanks for your help. I will go ahead and order that motherboard and hope that is all that I need. I might go ahead and try pulling a card here or there to see if it is the actual motherboard or something hooked to it.

12. Nucleartiger

Well, I finally got around to ordering a mobo. I ended up getting a Foxconn 861 board and that didn't help. I still had the same problem. So I took the computer in to a local shop and they checked it for free for me.

It turned out to be the PSU afterall. The weird thing is that the PSU tested sat on their tester but when they put their test PSU into the computer it fired right up.

So I have a new Orion 485W PSU, a new Foxconn mobo, and a fresh install of Windows.

Thanks for the help before.

Now I want to look into building a nice new computer from the ground up. Not top of the line cause I don't have thousands to spend but any tips on case and the like are most appreciated.

13. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

What will you mainly be using it for? Are you a gamer?

14. Nucleartiger

Mainly used for internet and streaming video through my 360. Also will be hooked up to an HDTV in the same room.

I used to play alot of games on the Computer but I mainly play on the X360.