Need advice about buying a used Chevy

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by cctyler, Dec 20, 2005.

1. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

My neighbour is soon to be selling his 1998 1500 Z71. Its pretty much loaded, power everything, push button 4x4, third door, tint...everything I want/need in a new truck.

He's had it since new and like all of his toys, keeps them in great shape and does all the work to them himself. He said it needs a new bearing in the rear and a bit of front end suspension work, nothing I couldn't do myself for about $500 in parts.

The only downside is that he's used to it drive to the lake (120miles) about once a week and has racked up the miles, around 145,000. The dealer is going to give him 10k on a trade in for a new Dodge, he said he would give it to me for about 7200. I've converted everything to USD from CAD (keep in mind vehicles are usually cheaper in the states).

He hasn't had to do the fuel pump yet, but the tranny seems to be in good condition. Only other little problem is that the head gasket leaks a small amount of coolant (but I think most of them did).

The truck is exactly what I want, but Im worried about the high miles for an 8 year old truck. I could spend another 5k and get something with 70k, but then I'm almost better of buying brand new or close to it. What do you guys think?

2. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

if its been taken care of and you can do the maintenance yourself i'd go for it. you cant beat that price. chevy v8s are a dime a dozen if that one craps out on you.

3. Monstrddg

Monstrddg New Member

my advice

Dont do it

4. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

$7,200 is a good deal on a truck like that, even with the miles and minor repairs needed. My '91 1500 has 209,000 miles (336,000 km) and still runs like a champ, only needing a new pinion bearing in the rear axle and a water pump, and will be replacing it next year with a 2001 1500, they're solid trucks, but like any vehicle there will be wear parts that need to be replaced, don't let that discourage you.

5. DONTASKME

DONTASKME New Member

Sounds like a fair price if it's in good shape. If the motor has been serviced and the oil has been changed every 3,000 miles they will go over 300,000 miles with no problem.

6. victum132

victum132 New Member

how bout no

7. sfam198

sfam198 John Petrucci Is God

That truck isn't going 300,000 miles with a bad head gasket. It may only leak a little bit now, but it will get worse if it's not taken care of. For that price, you can find better trucks that you don't have to tear the engine apart on the first day.

My reccomendation: look for something else.

8. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

If the headgasket is about to go, I would deffinatly not be paying 7,200 for it. Its either going to cost you a bundle to get somebody to fix it for you (or buy a new motor all together..) or you're going to be spending a good amount of time under the hood replacing things.

140,000 is not that much for the motor, but with the blown head gasket, you've got about 500 miles maximum before its time to tear it down and replace it.

9. ed911

ed911 New Member

chevy :nono:

10. visitor

visitor Guest

Also- something to check out- are you sure its the head gasket? those engines were/are very bad about leaking coolant from the intake gasken, not headgasket- both of my tahoe's and 3 of my buddies trucks- all leaked coolant from the intake- not head gasket

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: The top end in those chevy 5.7s need to be watched carefully. I'd still say go for it, though. If most of the mileage he put on the truck are highway miles, you've got very little to worry about.

12. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

:ugh:

13. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

ask him if he still runs the dexcrap

14. lotsofhp

lotsofhp New Member

Its a truck, its what they do best.

15. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

I highly doubt it that a dealer would give him 10k for that truck

16. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

Price is high. Edmunds gave me $6300. With the high mileage and repairs I personally wouldn't pay more than $4k for it.

17. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

I think you're right, it is the intake gasket.

I was wrong about the milage, its more like 255,000km's...or 160,000miles. I haven't talked to him in a month or so. There are hardly any trucks for sale around here though, might be the best deal around.....But if I put 20,000kms a year on it, pay it off in 3 years (Im in school 8 months of the year, work construction/my own company building decks in the summer) Its going to have over 300,000km's on it. The only other vehicle I've had over 300kms was my Jeep and it was still ticking at 355, but fuck I hadn't driving it at that point.