Need a workout to increase speed/endurance.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ivandrago, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ivandrago

Ivandrago I must break you.

My goal is not to become a bodybuilder, but I want to be more athletic and have more endurance, to help with tennis, basketball, skydiving, swimming, etc. I went to a personal trainer for about 6 months (once every 2 weeks) and lost about 14 pounds. Now I can't go any more because of time constraints, and my only time for gym is 1-2 hrs every morning, around 530am-730am.

Any suggestions? Anyone that has had a routine for similar reasons, & had good results from it, care to share? :wavey:

2. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

training for skydiving?

Did you read any of the stickies? Some of those routines will fit your parameters, just because they seem like bodybuilding workouts, they can be modified to include sport specific moves.

IBThatGuyPostsThatSprintRoutineAgain

3. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

rofl I was looking around for it so i could post it

4. Drewski

Drewski New Member

stronger leg muscles provide more force making you faster

best way i've found to improve sport-specific endurance is to play that sport as much as possible

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I switched to a super high-rep routine.. 20 reps to warm up on a light weight, then 20 reps x 3 or 4 sets on a heavier weight for my regular workout.

Stopped getting sore, muscle is a lot denser and "tighter". I like it so far.

6. Spur

Spur Boomer

For speed:
    -Increase feet quickness. I'm a huge fan of ladder workouts. They're kinda pricey, but really easy to carry around. And there are a ton of different exercises you can do with them. http://www.joessports.com/product/i...13&keywords=ladder&view=all&parentPage=search.

-Increase side-to-side mobility. Take two cones and place them 12ft apart (width of basketball key). Start with hand on one cone and side slide to other cone, and then side slide back. One set is back and forth 5 times, and do this as fast as you can.

I used to do these religiously and have a 4.5 second 40yd dash speed because of it.

7. Ivandrago

:cool: No I am not 'training' for it. But that's something I started doing and it takes a lot more than just jumping out of a plane. It's physically very demanding, and requires muscle speed/edurance rather than size.

8. Ivandrago

:bigthumb: I've been working with the ladders for a few months now. Definitely a big improvement in how I move on the tennis court. Any specific exercises you do?

9. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

10. Ivandrago

11. archangel

archangel Active Member

Why don't you do circuits? My circuit routines use a lot of free weights and medicine balls. Circuits have little to no rest in between the stations. I also do a lot of plyos in my movements. Are you doing sprints? Look up crossfit.com if you need a place to guide you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.