Need a way to get internet in my room

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris90210, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

i have DSL in my living room and i would like to hook my other computer up in my room. is there a way to do that without having another line put in the house. is there some way to get like wirless networking that runs off the one in my living room?

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Wireless access point or router and a wireless network interface card will do the trick.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd:

Wireless FTW.

4. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

sweet thanks thats what i needed to know

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

you could also setup an ad-hoc wireless network.

6. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

about how fast would it be if i have dsl on this computer?

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

The wireless connection will be a lot faster than your DSL connection (54mbps on 802.11G vs. maybe 4mbps on a fast DSL connection), so you won't notice a difference.

8. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

and will both computers be able to surf the net? sorry i'm a noob when it comes to networking

9. 01000101

01000101 New Member

get one of these

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=299891&pfp=cat3

and one of these

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=292350&pfp=cat3

the router should have an entry level setup guide, or you can find more info online.

it should be fairly straight forward. youll use a cat5, cat5e, or cat6 cable to connect the RJ-45 socket (looks like a bigger phone cable) to the same on the router. youll want to connect to the port on the router called "uplink"

the software on the modem and the router should take care of the details by themselves. you will probably have to reboot the modem. unplug the power, count to 12, plug it back in.

add the wireless card to your desktop and install the software that came with it. it should set things up for you.

at that point, if youre worried about minor security, you will want to connect to the router and change some things.

open your webbrowser. in the address bar, type "192.168.1.1" without the quotes. you will get a popup that wants a username and password. this will be in your router's user manual. it is probably admin admin.

once into the router settings, you will want to change the password. you will also want to change the ssid, which is the "name" of your wireless network.

that's all that you really need to do. there are more options if you want to make it more secure, but i wont go into those unless you need for me too.

happy wlan!

10. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

We are here to help, no need to apologize.

Yes, both PC's will be able to surf the net via router. A router splits a modem's internet connection to all its available ports, and it is legal. Splitting a cable for TV connection is not legal, but everyone still does it.

11. Frequency

Frequency New Member

TRAITOR ! ! ! :mamoru:

12. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Also, if you are looking for brand name equipment at a decent price...try newegg.com. Their shipping is lightning fast as well!