need a wav~ compressor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mc technik, Jan 29, 2003.

1. mc technik

mc technik your purrty...

any know a good one? need something that can record music into smaller wav files rather than those huge file sizes.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Wav files can't be compressed without losing quality unless you switch to another file type (ie MP3). If quality isn't an issue, you can record in 8 bit 11Khz mono for AM radio quality files. Strictly speaking, wav files are like a stream file, unless you have a program to compress (an MP3 encoder) and a program to decompress (and MP3 decoder like winamp) the wave file, you're kind of stuck.

3. 04

04 Guest

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/ is a lossless audio compressor. So yes, you can have a wave file compressed without going mp3.

4. mc technik

mc technik your purrty...

thanks alot guys

5. 5Gen_Prelude

You still have to convert the file though. And now you've added another file type which is not necessarily compatible as MP3 or WAV even. So what's the benefit? MP3 files can be created as lossless too if you want.

6. 04

04 Guest

Thats true that you have to convert the file, but you get 50% or better compression ratio usually, and that is *truely* lossless.

The benifit is that Monkey's audio is truely lossless, and you could pack it and unpack it as many times as you want with out any audible sound degradation. If you did that with mp3, even with the highest joint stereo 320kbps, after 10 times of encoding and decompressing it back to wave, it will start sounding bad.

And MP3's can NEVER be lossless. They will always have a measureable loss of audio information. That doesnt always mean you will hear it though....

7. 5Gen_Prelude

I tried the utility - went from a 40 meg wave to a 32 (some song I had ripped from a CD in WAV format) - and like you said, I couldn't tell the difference between the original song on the CD, to the high quality MP3, to the the .wav file, to the APE file (albeit with non-$1000 headphones ;))

One could argue that you lose info as soon as you record it to a digital medium though so I think the point of lossless audio is moot. Besides, that wasn't really my point - my original statement said that you can't compress a wav file without losing quality unless you go to a different file format. All .APE files are compressed files using a highly optimized compression algorithim for sound data.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2003
  8. 04

04 Guest

I don't think your thinking of the same thing I am. Yes there is audio loss from encoding an analog recording into a digital approximation. But wave is not lossless in the same sense MP3 is. If you decode an mp3 and encode it back again, and again, and again, you will start to hear audible artifacts.

9. 04

04 Guest

The loss in going from analog to PCM is a lot smaller than PCM to MP3 though. MP3 throws out a lot of data....

I am not surprised you couldnt hear the difference, if encoded well, an MP3 works almost perfectly, and you should not be able to distinguish it from the source. The problem arises when you start using lower and lower bitrates though....

And you are right, you do loose info when recorded to digital medium.