Need a UPS/Surge protector...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jasonj478, Mar 2, 2004.

1. jasonj478

jasonj478 New Member

Well today I was on the PC when the power blinked and it wouldn't restart. Needless to say I spent the next 4 hours getting it going and reinstalling programs. I didn't lose and information that's not replaceable, so it wasn't that bad. I've had the power go out before and never had any problems, but once was enough.

What I need to know is what should I really look for in a UPS? Is there much difference between the brands? Any suggestions on a particular brand or model? Can you have your TV and PC on the same one?

All I need is something that will give me 30 minutes and needs to have at least 2 plugs.

I have no knowledge on this type of equipment so if it's above common knowledge dumb it down a little for me.

Thanks

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

APC makes great UPSs. But since most UPSs only have 2 battery backup outlets, just enough for your CPU and monitor, then adding your TV wouldn't do much good...even if you have a set up that monitor draws power from the CPU's power supply I still wouldn't put the TV on the same UPS.

Unless you want to put your TV on the UPS to save from having to reset all the watching channels, just put it on a surge protector (APC makes very good sugre protectors as well). I have my TV, cable box, vcr, and dvd player on a completely seperate surge protector than my computer...and because my stereo is on another wall it gets it's own surge protector.

You can pick up APC UPS's and surge protectors as places like BestBuy and CircuitCity.