A&P Need a suggestion for a camera.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by shohan, Apr 18, 2006.

1. shohan

shohan New Member

My mother and father-in-law want to get my wife and I a digital camera for our combined birthdays. They've got a Kodak Easyshare DX7630(Link), 6.1MP 3x optical zoom, and they really like the 'quality' of the pictures it takes and features it has with the Easyshare dock. I've never used this camera so I'm a little unsure about it myself, but I can't beat free. I need some suggestions though on if I let them pick one up or get something else that is more worth the money.

So far these are the ones I've looked at:

Kodak Easyshare DX7630(Link) - $329.99
    [​IMG]
    • Store images in 32MB of internal memory or on optional Secure Digital memory cards (memory card not included)
    • Powered by rechargeable EasyShare lithium-ion battery (included with charger)
    • 6.1-megapixel sensor captures enough detail to create photo-quality 14-by-19-inch enlargements
    • Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon 3X optical zoom lens
    • 2.2-inch display; movie mode with sound
    Kodak EasyShare Z730(Link) - $179.88
    [​IMG]

• New continuous shooting and bracketing modes
    • Professional-quality Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon 4x optical zoom lens
    • 5.0-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality prints up to 13 x 17 inches
    • Kodak Color Science image processing chip
    • 2.2-inch high-resolution indoor/outdoor display
    Kodak Easyshare Z740(Link) - $268.99
    [​IMG]
    • PictBridge compatible; captures QuickTime movies with MPEG4 compression
    • Features a range of shooting modes, from fully automatic to manual
    • Runs on 2 AA-size batteries; accepts SD/MMC memory cards
    • 5.0 MP resolution captures enough detail for photo-quality prints up to 13 x 17 inches
    • 10x Kodak Retinar all-glass optical zoom lens and 1.8-inch indoor/outdoor display
    Fuji Finepix S9000(Link) - $576.96
    [​IMG]

• High-speed start-up time of only 0.8 second with shutter lag down to 1/100 second
    • Stores images on xD Picture Card, CF card, or Microdrive Dual media; powered by 4 AA-size batteries (4 AA alkaline batteries included)
    • 9-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 17 x 23-inch prints
    • World-class Fujinon 10.7x wide-angle optical zoom lens, equivalent to 28-300mm zoom on a 35mm camera
    • Tilting 1.8-inch LCD display for high and low-angle shooting
    • (Comes with a deal from Amazon to get a Fujifilm 1GB xD-Picture Type M card(Link) for $20 and a $100 mail-in rebate)
    I think I can swing the extra money for the Fuji if it's worth it. A friend had bought one and I played with it very briefly and thought it was pretty good, but I'm no professional. So does anyone have any suggestions? Any personal experience with any of these cameras? I don't have to stick with Kodak or Fuji for brands so if there's something better please feel free to post. I'm computer literate so I don't need a camera with Playskool features meant for a toddler. I like the simplicity of being able to plug a camera in via USB and it showing up in My Computer, but the Kodak Easyshare Dock is suppose to be pretty handy.

Thanks for the help.

2. Dr. Decoy

Dr. Decoy that's what's up my dude

I personally like the Canon PowerShot S2 IS or the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

every kodak easyshare I have used has been painful. Avoid them.

4. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

My mom has the Kokak easyshare Z740 and loves it. I haven't messed around with it yet, so I can't speak for it.

I own a Canon A620 which I think is pretty good for a P&S. :dunno:

5. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

6. airbrat

airbrat Swollen Member

Panasonic LUMIX line of cameras

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Great ass camera if you're not going to dive into the high end expensive DSLRs.

Also take a look at the Panasonic FZ5 and FZ30.

7. Dr. Decoy

Dr. Decoy that's what's up my dude

8. I like that little flat nikon guy with the 8mp :bigthumb: I don't remember the model but it's black and has a bright blue light on it.

the camera is tiny as fuck!

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

STAY AWAY FROM KODAK CAMERAS! I can't stress this enough...they are pure shit. just because one person's mom says its nice doesn't make her a viable critic, especially since she just pushes the button and loads pictures with her dock.

The Fuji you posted is a great camera. So is the Canon S2 IS and the Sony H1.

10. shohan

shohan New Member

Well, after taking a look at a few more camera and talking to the wife a bit I think I'm looking for more of a normal use camera. The S9000 is really nice, but I think it's too much camera for my needs. I've been looking at the Fuji E900 and I think it's the one I'm going to get. A bit smaller, only 4x optical zoom, still 9MP, and there's a pretty good deal.

[​IMG]

• Compatible with optional lens adapters that can increase optical zoom
    • Stores images on xD Picture Cards; powered by 2 AA-size batteries (2 AA alkaline batteries included)
    • 9-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 17 x 23-inch prints
    • 4x optical zoom; 2.0-inch LCD display
    • Real Photo Technology provides faster operation, low noise processing, better low-light shooting, and higher shutter speeds

11. mojito

mojito New Member

make sure to check out the hasseldblad h2. it has the fuji beat on image quality, though they each have their own features. :bigthumb:

12. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

my only problem with Fuji is they insist on using XD cards, which aren't bad, but they don't write as fast. AA batteries are good because you always have a replacement available but even digital AA batteries don't last as long as a battery pack in other cameras.

just things to think about!

13. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

lol

14. shohan

shohan New Member

Thanks. :bigthumb: Those are the types of suggestions and tips I was looking for.

15. mojito

mojito New Member

I wouldn't let the XD be a decision maker, unless you have a labtop that has a SD card reader built in or something. All card prices are coming down, and speeds coming up. And the type of camrea you are looking for won't be able to use a card's full speed anyways, so card speed is irrelevant.

fuji are ok cameras. Personally I'd stick with Canon, Nikon and Olympus. After a year of selling thousands of every brand, those had the higest satisfaction level. Panasonics can be good, but we also had the highest rate of return with them too, and the most sent back to Panasonic.

I'd stay away from HP, obviously, and kodak.

what features do you want?
    small form factor or big zoom
    simple/auto or manual and complicated but fun
    rechargeable battery or AA

I'd read the sticky on buying a camera at the top of the threads too

16. shohan

shohan New Member

I didn't see a sticky on buying a camera. I'm sorry I would've read it if I had seen it. I'll take a look at some of the Canon, Nikon and Olympus that are local to me. Thanks for the suggestions.

As far as features:
    medium sized - I have large hands so too small is uncomrtable
    fast shutter speed - for motion shots
    atleast 4x optical zoom
    simple/auto focus - something that takes good clear pictures even when zoomed
    rechargeable batteries - definately a fan of rechargeables I hate throwing money away on batteries if I don't have to
    fast write to memory - so that follow up shots can be taken quicker.
    movies with sound - nothing elaborate I have a DV camcorder for that
    good indoor and outdoor performance - be able to transition between the two with relative ease and settings change
    red-eye removal - I think this have become somewhat standard, but the wife wanted me to mention it
    no need for proprietary software - if I connect to a random PC I don't want to have to install software or drivers

That turned into quite a long list. I realize that 'you can't always get what you want' so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again.

17. mojito

mojito New Member

sticy must have died. check www.dealsofamerica.com for the best pricing.

Amazon.com Olympus SP-500 UZ Ultra Zoom 6MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Zoom for $274.05 + Free Shipping (List Price: $449.99)
    6.0-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 14 x 19-inch prints/ 10x optical zoom; 2.5-inch LCD display / 27 selectable shooting modes, plus full manual and automatic control
    Click Here and add to cart for $294.05 - $20 MIR (Ends 06/30) = $274.05 + Free Shipping [Check Lowest Price]
    You may add Olympus xD Picture Card 512MB for $37.04 - $26.99 off Coupon OLYXDMEMREEY (Ends 4/24) = $10.05 + Free Shipping

Amazon.com Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20K 5MP Digital Camera with 12x Image Stabilized Optical Zoom (Black) for $399.88 + Free Shipping (List Price: $599.99) **HOT**
    MEGA optical image stabilizer; 2-inch TFT LCD screen; PictBridge Compatible/ Store images on Secure Digital/ Powered by lithium-ion battery pack/ 5-megapixel sensor captures enough detail to create photo quality 13-by-17-inch enlargements
    Click Here and add to cart for $399.88 + Free Shipping [Check Lowest Price]

Staples.com Canon PowerShot A530 5MP digital camera + Epson Stylus CX3810 Color Flatbed All-in-One for $175.99 + Free Shipping **HOT**
    5.0 megapixels / 4x optical/4x digital zoom / 1.8" color LCD screen / Voice memo recording/playback / Takes SecureDigital SD Memory, 16MB card included
    Add Canon Camera and Epson CX3810 Printer to cart for $175.98 + $89.98 - $59.98 Off Coupon Code 12430 - $30 Easy Rebate(Ends 6/30)= $175.98 + Free Shipping [Check Lowest Price]