Need a solution for replacing current drive with Raid1

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CPipes, Jan 31, 2008.

1. CPipes

CPipes Shit definitely just got real!! OT Supporter

I currently have 1 160GB SATA HD that has everything on it. I want to replace this drive with 2 750GB SATA HD's setup in RAID1. My motherboard only has space for 2 SATA drives. I'm trying to find the best/closest possible solution to recreate my system the exact same way it is now except on the RAID1 setup. I attempted to install one of the 750's and copy/paste everything on it but I keep getting Errors saying "XXX can't be copied because it is being used by another program". I really don't know where to begin :dunno:

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

See, this is what I was trying to get at yesterday - you can't be asking level 5 questions when you're a level 1 kind of guy.

If this makes sense, then we might help you, if not, it's going to take forever:

1. Check to see if your RAID controller can be set to build from the 1st drive. If so, continue, if not, remove original drive, stick both new drives in and set up in RAID 1, and format the drive.
    2. You plug in one the other drives and clone the original drive.
    3. Remove original drive
    4. See if it boots up. If it does, great move on. If it doesn't go back to step one and do the alternate
    5. Stick 2nd drive in and set the RAID 1 up to Build.

3. CPipes

Original is synchronizing to one of the new 750GB drives now :cool:

Probably won't be able to break the current raid and resync to the other 750 until the morning but thanks for the help so far.

4. CPipes

Alright everything transfered over but the only problem is that when I set it up it automatically partitioned the 750 drive into 150/550. Is there any way to correct this before I try to sync it with the other 750 drive to not have it in partitions??

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well... how did you sync it? I personally wouldn't want one big drive.