Need a silent, light, portable laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlackMage84, Nov 26, 2005.

1. BlackMage84

BlackMage84 Guest

I'm looking for a laptop because my parents have said they'd be willing to get me one for x-mas since the one i'm using (some POS my wife had) is getting old.

Here is what i'm looking for:

• Reasonably quiet cooling fan and HD. I know you can't get TOO quiet without sacrificing power, but I don't want a 747 taking off everytime I run an app.
    • A keypad that has silent clicks, or the closest thing to it. I type very fast and I don't want to be bothering people around me.
    • I will not be using this machine to run games, but I think that 64mb of dedicated video memory would be useful for movies or presentations.
    • Portability is a big factor. I do not want a brick. I am willing to sacrifice screen size for portability. I imagine a 14.1" would be fine.
    • HD size can be as low as 40 and as high as 80. I doubt i'd use more than that.
    • I will be installing my own OS on it so I don't care if the manufacturer does/doesn't throw a bunch of useless shit on it.
    • Need a USB port on the right side of the laptop for a mouse attachment.

2. samm

samm Next in Line

what is your budget?

3. BlackMage84

BlackMage84 Guest

1300 would probably be the limit. Maybe 1400 if there is a good reason.

4. 01000101

01000101 New Member

5. BlackMage84

BlackMage84 Guest

How do I know those sites' reviews aren't based on advertising dollars like so many other "review" sites?

6. 01000101

01000101 New Member

i guess youll just have to check them out.

i felt comfortable with the information i got.

anyone can write a revicew. you cant pay off an entire forum. *shrug* its ultimately up to you.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Since you're not using it for gaming anyway, why not buy a Mac? The iBook and PowerBook are very nice notebooks. Rumor has it the iBook will be getting a lot faster early in the new year with the introduction of an Intel processor of some sort.