A&P Need a second (small) camera recommendation

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ballast, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

Okay guys. I have my Rebel Digital. But it's too big to carry around in my pocket for candids (so was my olympus c-3020 that i sold). So I'm thinking about a Canon SD100. Is there any other camera in that price range that people could recommend?

I like the SD100, cause it's super small, and steves-digicams seems to think it's good (and has some decent sample pics)...
    it has to be pocketable!

2. DejaVooDoo

DejaVooDoo *Jojo*

I'm interested in the results of this thread...I am in the same boat with my Fugi S7000...I need something I can put in my pocket!

3. Ballast

going to town, might come home with an sd100, or an s230

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

you might have a pentax optio s4 but you certainly don't have a fuji optio s4 ;)

5. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Ballast I hope you haven't bought a camera yet. PMA (Photo marketing association) has its annual show in february, which is when many new models are announced to the public for the first time. Anyways, as far as whats available right now, I really like the Pentax Optio 555 and you might also check out the Minolta F300.. both of those are really small with lots of features and manual controls etc. Theyre not extremely popular because they dont say "sony" or "canon" on the front though :hs: Anyway I hope that helps somewhat (I too am looking for a smaller digital and will be holding off until after PMA :x: )

6. Ballast

i bought the canon sd100 this afternoon. the battery is charging.

it's not like it's my only camera. and i have 30 days to return it. he was showing me the optio s4 while i was there. that fucker will fit in an altoids tin!

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

:cool:

8. Ballast

okay. i have my sd100, and it's okay. but the optio s4 is only like $50 USD more (my price), and it's like 200 thousandths of inch thinner...

is it worth the small size for the huge barrel distortion at wide angle?? imaging-resource.com didn't measure 1 single pixel of pincusioning <sp?> at full telephoto (and it's 3x instead of 2x)

well??

9. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I dunno - thats a personal thing... I hate distortion because in certain shots it really shows up prevalently... also I dont think the image quality on the S4 holds up to the sd100 but I could be wrong. If you can get the S4 and take back whichever you like less, thats what I'd do

10. redna

redna New Member

I loooooove my sony DSC-P92. its 5MP and while not as small as the ones you are thinking about it takes AWESOME pics. I blew up a pic i took at full resolution to 36X28 the other day and it maintained quality like you wouldnt believe....

[​IMG]

Took me 15 sheets to print the whole thing out!

That cam should be somewhere around 349.00 USD. You could get the V1 that has the same sensor plus manual features for a bit more. (or any of the other 5mp sonys for that matter)

11. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

[​IMG]

I like my Casio :) 4MP and it's small as hell. It's got the surface area of a credit card and it's a little more than a half inch thick. 3x optical zoom lens and 2" LCD too :eek3:

12. daneford

daneford New Member

I also have the Sony DSC-P92 and I also love it :)
    I got mine for $500 CDN
    it's small but not pocket size, I want to get a pocket one for candid pics someday, so many times I saw an amazing scene to take a pic of but my cam was at home, and when I go snowboarding I can't bring my sony :(

13. Ballast

maybe i will exchange the SD100 for something else :(

I love the fact that it uses the SAME CABLE as my rebel to connect to the computer... but at ISO400 in the bar last night, the pics are SUPER GRAINY.... accept the really close up ones. they are a little washed out because the flash didn't ramp down enough.

14. SemisncBNL

SemisncBNL Guest

You bastard. :) That's the camera I was looking at before I decided on the Optio S4. I LOVE the lcd screen on that thing. It's a very good looking camera.

(Mine's smaller ;) )

15. Ballast

*cough* asshole *cough*

how can you say that you have the optio S4 and not post anything about it's picture quality??? WE (and by "we" i mean "I") want to know!! How is the picture quality? Is the barrel distortion bad? How does it do in low light conditions?

16. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

That's small enough.

Seriously, the battery on this beast is only 7mm thick, and only 4 or 5 cm long. It's almost too tiny.

17. SemisncBNL

SemisncBNL Guest

Well, I've only had the camera for about a week now, so I don't know how it's going to hold up. As far as low light is concerned, the night shooting mode is excellent if you have a tripod. If you're using a flash, I find that the one on the Optio is not as overpowering and ugly as it was on my old Sony - it's actually useful. Picture quality is very good, but I've heard it has a tendency to make tones too warm (makes for better-looking pictures if you're just pointing and shooting, but not good if you're trying to take a controlled photograph). It's got a ton of really neat features... I'd suggest Steve's Digicams for a good, in-depth review of the camera. Make sure you look at all the pages available in the drop-down menu. :)

18. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Ballast, FYI Pentax just came out with the Optio S4i - it's got some new features and what not, check it out

19. mojito

mojito New Member

also the sony t1, though the casio z4u or canon s400 would do the same job for less and you wouldn't have to buy memory stick duo

20. Ballast

i've decided to keep the sd100. it's good enough, and it's really just for candid snapshots.

i think it's biggest saving grace is that it uses the same cable to connect to my computer, so it's convenient, which means i'm more likely to use it.