Need a PDA phone suggestion. Carrier doesn't matter.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shohan, Apr 15, 2007.

1. shohan

shohan New Member

I need a new phone and Nextel is pissing me so I figured I might as well upgrade to a PDA if I switch services. What's the latest and greatest thing out there and what are the suggestions?

I'd want something to:
    - Check my email, Outlook integration
    - Windows Mobile based, though possibly the iPhone
    - A good web browser. I want to be able to surf the web when I have to withought being annoyed.
    - Be able to view Word Excel files.
    - WiFi capable
    - 3G capability
    - Good 3rd part app support.
    - Remote administration of PCs
    - Decent battery life. I'd like a good days worth of use out of it before having to charge. I charge my phone every night, but in the off chance that I can't don't want to be screwed.
    - Chargeable via USB.
    -Ability to use the phone as a modem for a laptop.

So far I've looked at the Cingular 8525 which seems really nice, the Sprint Smart Device PPC-6700 and the Motorola Q. They were all display models, unfortunately, but the 8525 seemed nice because of the larger keyboard and screen. I'm not interested in a Blackberry or a Palm and I've been told the Blackjack doesn't support Java applications (Is that true?). I'll probably be waiting for Windows Mobile 6 to come out so that I'm not spending that much on the phone and then be out of date when 6.0 comes out.

2. dooks88

dooks88 need some bat wings

i'd do the treo 750 personally. it doesnt have wifi, but trust me, you wont use it much. also, one hand operation is easier on the treo than 8525, 6700.

3. bennyboom

bennyboom New Member

You might want to wait. Either for WM6 or for the iPhone. I have the 8525 and I like it, but I'm getting the iphone as soon as it comes out. First phone to have a full web browser, and full movie capabilities, both of which the 8525 does NOT come equipt with. You need more than the Blackjack def. (dumbed down version of pocket pc's) WiFi does come in handy and the iPhone's initial model WON'T be UMTS or WiFi capable. some things to think about.