Need a nice set of headphones around ~100 bucks...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thegeneral, Nov 10, 2002.

1. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

I'm going to buy my dad a set of headphones so he can listen to music late at night without waking up the neighbors. I'm hoping to find a set right around $100 bucks. I want great sound quality and decent loudness.

I don't know the first thing about where to look for something like this though. Can anyone reccomend some good brands and places where I can buy them for the cheapest price?

My dad listens to stuff like Santana, Acoustic Alchemy... a lot of heavy demanding music and shit.

Also, I have never really heard headphones that have amazing sound Q before, do they really exist? I'd be interested in hearing how they work. :dunno:

Thanks a lot guys. :wiggle:

EDIT: Oh also, what about wireless vs standard headphones? I dont understand how the whole wireless thing works. I'd definately like an opinion on that too. ;)
  2. 04

04 Guest

You can get those for 100 dollars??? :eek:
  3. 04

04 Guest

Actually headphones have the best potential for great sound quality. Well except for imaging of course.

The reasons are because the transducers are so close to your ears, they require very little power to get loud, compared to normal loudspeakers.

They also help cancell out some noise from the room.

They also are not affected by the room they are placed in, like normal loudspeakers are. They will sound the same in any room of your house.

For 100 dollars, you can get a pair of headphones that have amazingly accurate sound quality.

I wouldnt get wireless ones though.

Check out those headphones Grumppy reccomended.
  4. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

Ok I'm looking around on Ebay... I'm seeing a lot of weird stuff I've never seen with head phones. Like head phone amplifiers and stuff. :dunno:. Will these just be able to plug into the headphone jack on my dads reciever (Yamaha)?

Thanks again. :)
  5. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

Hmmm.... Right now the Grado SR125's are looking QUITE nice. :naughty: I wish there was a place I could listen to them though.
  6. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

Ok guys, I found some Grado SR-125s on Ebay "brand new in box." There's 2~ days left and they're only at $51 bucks. They retail for $155 I guess. Thats a pretty big discount if they dont go much higher than they're at now. Is it safe buying stuff like this on Ebay? Do I have to worry about them not working correctly or anything? :dunno: It just seems too good to be true.

7. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

Most sellers get it at cost through their distribution channels so they still make a profit. MSRP/retail is for suckers. Make sure to read the sellers comments left by past bid winners. Using Paypal you also get a measure of security if you're their platinum user.

On a related note, I recently picked up some stereo SONY headphones which are pretty cool. I listen to Acoustic Alchemy too so it's all good.