Need a new PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by teenfucker, Nov 16, 2006.

1. teenfucker

teenfucker Guest

I used to be very up to date with all the latest hardware / PC buzz but I haven't been for quite some time. Capable of building my own PC (and used to love buying the parts and doing so) but it seems like lately it's better to buy a full PC package instead of seperate parts.

Also, I live in Canada and USA prices on computer parts are much cheaper and with the Canadian dollar rising so close to US, it seems like it could possibly be cheaper to purchase US parts online and ship them here. Anyone have experience in that?

Anyone know of any good sites to look at for PC/hardware and if it would make sense to buy a whole PC or build it?

Typically I like intel processors, asus motherboards, and ATI video cards...

2. milz_long

milz_long New Member

Getting parts in the States cheaper may be true but when it comes over the border you will have to pay duties on the items and sometimes they rape you on that, trust me, I know, I've gotten raped a few times on items I purchased in the States and had shipped to me in Ontario. Also you may have issues with warranties if something goes wrong. Not really issues but you will probably have to ship the item back at your cost as well as being out that part until they send you a new one where as if you bought from somewhere near you, you can just return the defective part quickly in person for exchange.

3. teenfucker

teenfucker Guest

Hmm that's very true, never considered that, good point - thanks! I guess I'll have to stick with purchasing here then (I'm in Ontario too)

4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I'm not from canada but I saw a post the other day about someone listing a few good canadian online computer shops.
    I'll try and see if I can find out where i saw it.

5. milz_long

milz_long New Member

Tigerdirect.ca has really good prices and very fast shipping. I've bought ram from them and it got to me very quickly.

6. jeyur

jeyur cum fairy OT Supporter

i was going to make this same thread so i guess ill just post in here hoping for answers as well

edit: Now that i read it my thread wouldnt exactly be the same. As for parts i suggest Newegg.com I personally am looking to see what parts are good now since i havent caught up with computer parts in a while. All i know is i want an intel core 2 duo that's about it. :hs:

7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

8. jeyur

emmett and negative zero, since u guys in this thread ill ask here. as of now, would you pick amd or intel. Im debating if i want to go core 2 duo or amd's version of it, not sure what it is.

9. jeyur

is it even worth going athlon x64?

10. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Sorry, went out to eat. I would say Intel C2D without a doubt. Just make sure you go with a board that will support C2Quad (Kentsfiled) or whatever it's called.
    Here's a list. http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2848

Just from research I like the asus P5B-e (or P5B deluxe if you spend a little more). Then you can just get a e6400 for now, overclock it, and go for Quad-Core when the prices drop.

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm with the Core 2 Duo's also.

As far as quad cores go, I looked for the link this morning but couldn't find it, but I read a programmer talking about how difficult it was to make a program multi-threaded.
    The guy was saying how incredibley complex it was.
    I only know of one game that is claiming to be able to use quad core, and that's the next Half Life 2. And that's supposedly via a patch, which doesn't sound like true multithreading to me.

I think it's going to be a while before that changes enough to make quads worth it.

But I don't see any problem at all with getting a board that supports it now.
    It's always a good thing to future proof your build as much as possible.