Need a new PC, some advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Biomechanoid, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

when I built my rig it was fanastic for it's time (about 3 years ago).

athlon 1400XP (OC'd to 1800)
    GeForce 3 64MB
    1 gig of 3200 DDR ram
    750W PSU
    custom built mid tower case
    2 120mm 135CFM side fans
    2 80mm 100CFM exhaust fans
    and some HD's (upgraded last year)

well, now the paint is starting to wear on the case, the CPU and graphics card are horribly outdated, and I'm tired of the jet engine sound that the fans make.

it's been a long while since I've looked at the hardware market, and I'm not sure what's out there. I have no qualms about OCing a CPU if that's the cheaper way for me to go for some higher end processing power, but I have a limited budget on the vid card- only $150. I don't know if I should upgrade the ram or keep it, and it seems to be serving me well. I also want to go to a much quieter cooling system. I've been looking at watercooling but don't know if it's worth the effort as some people say you can get the same level of cooling with quiet air systems

any suggestions on what kinds of products I should start looking at? I've had some very bad experiences with intel, so I refuse to use their products anymore, but I'm very open to either camp of graphics card (Nvidia or Radeon).

mainly my PC is used for gaming, with some video editing if that effects what products I should be looking at. I really don't want to be spending much more than $600 total for everything

2. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

You should be able to put together a nice AMD Athlon XP system for well under your budget. Check out Newegg for video cards. You should be able to get a nice 128mb or 256mb card with a Geforce or Raedon chipset. I got a Sapphire 128mb Geforce card for right at $100 with a DVI hookup for my LCD monitor. Are you going to use any of the parts from your old computer? That might allow you to spend a little more money on other components. I suggest making a list and then price it out on Newegg. Also check out http://www.ibuypower.com/ for other ideas. They have a nice layout for computers. Build a system there and then just look for the parts elsewhere. Prices should be somewhat similar. It will also give you an idea of what all you will need.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You will not get anything that I would call a "gamer" box for $600... But if you're doing fine with a gf3 64mb right now, then that's not an issue. Even a cheap FX5200 is a good upgrade.

I'd look at the celeron d chips for cost.

4. GTS4eva

GTS4eva New Member

You can get:

- AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    - Rosewill Case
    - Sony CDRW / DVDR
    - Floppy Drive
    - 1GB RAM (512 x 2)
    - Windows XP Home Edition with SP2
    - Keyboard + Optical Mouse
    - ECS Motherboard
    - 160Gig Hard drive

for $562.... this isnt a gaming comp though, more of a "work" or multi-tasking comp

5. narcisis

narcisis New Member

AMD? Bah! :fawk:

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you have only 1 post and we're already gonna think you're an ignorant fuck.

I run intel, and I *LOVE* my intel... But AMD makes some kickass stuff, too.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Now that didn't take long :rofl: :rofl:

8. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

This isn't a bad setup, but I don't see any reason you can't use your current RAM since I think the motherboard you would set up around would probably be DDR and not DDR-2 expecially if you go with AMD make sure the motherboard is Socket 939.
    BTW, AMD offers better overclocking potential than Intel if you get a motherboard that gives you some settings for that and you can get a 64-bit enable chip for future OSes. I would definitely suggest staying away from Celeron CPUs.

9. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

You probably can't use the same ram as it would probably be PC2100 which would be a bottleneck. And if your upgrading, it would probably make sense to go with a Socket 939 AMD64 system, as the XP is outdated tech.

10. narcisis

narcisis New Member

Actually, anus, I've been an OT member since 03. Just happened to get a new pc just now and saw my acct was deleted after 6mos inactivity - had to register over again :squint:

and again, bah on AMD! (till I get one, then it'll be phat :coolugh: )

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Thats B.S. There are accounts from LONG ago that are around w/o posts....

And whether or not you have visited a site in the past does not make you a member...

This simply furthers my point.

12. narcisis

narcisis New Member

BS? Actually it's not, as for officially being a "member", if it requires that little fee now then gee I guess I'm not one. But I *have* been here since 03, way before the fee even started.

And OT hasn't changed abit I see, people still love talking shit and starting nonsense :)

I hope there's some friendly people left.. unlike say.. you. :greddy:

13. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Well I think the CPU he has now is running at 266 MHz FSB, so he probably has PC2700 or maybe PC3200, so he might still be able to use it.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:greddy: A 266MHz FSB uses PC-2100...

PC-2700 = 333MHz
    PC-3200 = 400MHz