Need a new mother board for my notebook.. reccomendations

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by j1o, Jul 6, 2005.

1. j1o

j1o snatch snatcher

Last week my laptop (Toshiba Sattelite) freaked out on me. I left it running while i was at work, and when i came home it was turning itself off, showing an error scren, then restarting itself, only to shut down again and repeat the cycle continuously. I couldnt get windows XP to load at all. I tried all the safe modes, last previous working settings, i shut off auorestart and thats about all i could think of.

So I took it to fry's (where it was purchased) and had them diagnose the problem. I talked to the tech today and he said it is most likely a bad mother board and that they would charge $800!!! for parts plus installation. Now this is sdefinitely no high end laptop, and thats more than the damn thing cost to buy in the first place.

So if my motherboard is indeed fried, can anyone reccomend a good compatible replacement? Must be under $200 please. Thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there is no such thing as a "compatible replacement" it's model specific... you need that mainboard. If you can get it used, try it, but the new price is going to be HIGH... Personally, I wouldn't trust the used part (ebay would be a primary source).

Time to go new-notebook shopping.

3. j1o

j1o snatch snatcher

so there is no way to replace a mother board on a laptop with anything other than the factory part?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

correct

5. j1o

j1o snatch snatcher

thats sucks ass. why is this?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

because the parts are not standardized and each manufacturer builds systems with different specs, requirements, and dimensions. :ugh:

7. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

qft