Need a new hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bb86, Mar 10, 2003.

1. bb86

bb86 New Member

Mine is ****ed majorly. If the computer is left on for say 5 hours or more, it makes an annoying alarm like sound.

I decided i needed a new one anyways, this ones too small.

Im thinking i should definatly get a Western Digital. Either 60 or 80 gig. I was looking on newegg, but was also wondering if there were any special deals yall knew about from basically anywhere. Rebates, sales, anything that could help me out.

I also know theres lots of different options besides just the sizes, what should i be looking for?

8 mb cache is what i should hopefully be getting right? Which would mean an 80 gig? Heard compusa had a deal on a Maxtor 80 GB with 8 MB cache, any other sales yall know of?

Thansk for any help!

2. z y i r o

z y i r o Guest

i just picked up 2 120 gig 7200 rpm maxtors for 99.99 each from best buy then i also had 40 in mail in rebates for each one

3. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

The 8 MB cache drives are less common and therefore are not as often involved in the great deals. So it comes down to, do I want a great drive that I'm willing to pay more for, or do I want the best deal... If those are drives that zyiro got are 8 MB cache drives, then he got a great deal and it is worth checking out... That CompUSA deal might be good as well.

4. bb86

bb86 New Member

Im thinking the compusa deal is what i will check for first. Then ill head to best buy and compare, see which is best.

Zyiro- did you mean you got them for $99 and then also a $40 rebate, meaning it was for $59? That seems too good to be true...

5. bb86

bb86 New Member

I also picked up the 120 gig hard drive.

I need some help though if you can, the boot disk that came with it to format the drive etc. doesnt work. It cant find the "ibmdos" file. Then i take it to our working computer and it says it cant read the disk because it needs to be formatted, but it also cannot format it. So can i get the files from somewhere else and put it on a blank disk? Could you send me those files?

My email is [email protected]

or we could do it over AIM or something if you can help.

Thanks!

6. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

If it is the 120 GB Maxtor that the other guy mentioned, then you can find the MaxBlast 3 utility here . That should be what you need. I have used that utility before and it has worked well for me in the past.

7. bb86

bb86 New Member

:bowdown: Thank you so much! I'll let you know how it worked!