Need a new Computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Aug 3, 2006.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

This thread is actaully for my dad :hsugh: who refuses to let me build him a new computer for less $$. Anyways he has a HP Pentium 4 3.0E with 1gb PC3200. He says the thing just is not as fast as he needs now because of what he does. He uses illustrator, photoshop, firefox, quicken, etc. Normal stuff. He does use all those Adobe programs for work though and has very large files that take a while to save. Let me know what the new stuff out in reference to processors and memory is. I'm assuming 2gb of ddr2 PC4200 and like an AMDx2 4200+ should be plenty ?? Thx in advance guys.

Also any neccesities on video cards, no gaming at all but just 2d Adobe stuff. Is the normal integrated 6150 or 7300 le enough, or should he get something seperate so it does not take from the mobo memory?

2. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

You might want to invest in a faster hard drive(s), like a Western Digital Raptor.

For a vid card, I'd still recommend a dedicated card, even if he won't be gaming. If you're dad is doing alot of graphics work, he might find it beneficial to have dual monitors. Check to see what kind of monitor(s) he'll be using...if they need DVI or VGA connections. VGA is the older standard, DVI will give you the best picture quality. Plus some have other features he might need, like hardware accelerated video playback and encoding. If he's going to be upgrading to Windows Vista whenever it comes out, you'll want a dedicated vid card anyway.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. Never, ever use RAID 0. Your computer will crash and you will lose everything on the drive. If you're going to build a RAID, go with a RAID3 or a RAID 5 setup -- or a RAID 1, if you only have room for two hard drives. I recommend RAID 3 or RAID 5, because you can use three smaller drives instead of two larger drives, and it will probably cost less and give you the same storage space. You can also expand RAID 3 very easily in the future if you need to, by adding more disks instead of replacing the ones you have. But like I said, if you can only get two hard drives, use RAID 1 or else don't RAID the drives together at all; RAID 0 is a disaster waiting to happen.

2. Dual screens are hellishly useful, they cost less than a single huge screen, and if one of them dies, you only lose half of your investment. Definitely buy a dedicated video card for this reason alone, because onboard video won't allow for two screens to be connected. If he's really not going to be doing any heavy 3D work, get a video card that has a heatsink/heatpipe instead of a fan, just to cut down on the noise and the number of moving parts.

3. I'm guessing the reason he wants to buy a Dell or an HP or whatever, instead of letting you build him a computer, is because Dell or HP will fix it for free if it breaks, and you won't fix your homemade computer for free. For someone who can't fix their own stuff, a good warranty is worth the extra cost of buying from a big company instead of from "that guy you know".

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, since deusexaethera is starting to repeat what I've been saying, I will agree with him on point 1&2. No FAID0, and get dual screens. So useful.

I agree with the conclusion in #3, but not the reasoning. Take it a step further. Do YOU want to fix the machine when it breaks? Have him go to a local computer shop and let THEM build it for less. Then when it breaks he has a true B&M shop to take it to, with a warranty to honor.

BTW, Intel has been better at media creation for many years, and Conroe has recently kicked AMD's ass in the rest of the categories. You don't want AMD now... You want Intel Core 2 Duo!

5. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Dual core anything is good. I've used them both and I'm impressed. Be sure to get the...whatever it's called...64bit OS of XP or 2003 Server. See what Raid 5 would be great and if not that, sata is a good alternative. I'm not crazy about the consumer level Intel boards, but Asus and some others are good. Get a GOOD power supply too.

6. deusexaethera

So...you're saying you do agree with my post in its entirety, and you have something to add to it. That's cool, I do that all the time myself.

7. deusexaethera

I have an SATA RAID right now. It's nice and fast. I'm using RAID 3 because the mathematics used to expand a RAID 3 are a lot less complicated than a RAID 5, though there tends to be a penalty for lots of file modification.