Need a new 10" for the 'Vette

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jesse_Boyer, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

I run an 800a2 from Rockford that's always suited me well. Not looking to change the amp at this time.
    It runs
    RMS Power at 4 Ohms 200 W x 2
    RMS Power at 2 Ohms 400 W x 2
    RMS bridged = 800w x 1, my setting. (actually it benched at 1017w)

The box is from ProBoxRocks and can be found here:
    http://proboxrocks.com/chevy/corvette.shtml

As you can see, I have a max mounting depth of 6.5". I'm looking for something that'll move some air as I like a good, loud sub. However, it has to look the part as well! This is a 'vette, after all. Looking to spend $150-200 or so. Also, if possible, I'd rather overpower the sub, verses underpower it. In fact, I really don't need to use ALL the power this amp will produce.

I'm also buying a 1 farad RF cap to match the amp. It at all possible, I'd like to use a RF sub. Just make sure it's capable of moving some air :yesnod:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCKFORD-FOSGAT...858773629QQcategoryZ39774QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

edit: I assume I need a 2-ohm sub, right? I'm no audio expert by any stretch...

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

800watts @ 4ohms when bridged...

3. GSteg

GSteg Member

Dont get a cap.

You're really limited on a single 10" that will take 0.9 while having low end and high efficiency.

If anything, look at the Image Dynamics ID10v3 dual 4ohm.

You wont be needing an aweful lot of power. You're not gonna find too many subs for under $200 that will handle all the power you have.

Wire the sub in series to get an 8ohm load and bridge the amp. The amp should be putting out around 500w.

4. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

no cap? won't that help the electrical system? Or should add a second battery?

looking at the ID10v3 now

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

if the sub fits in the box, then that T1 should be fine. It will be pretty loud, and yes you'll need the dual 2 ohm voice coil setup. as far as a cap, some love them, some think they don't do a thing. i currently have one in my truck and i have ~ 800 watts total (~400 watt 4 ch and ~400 sub amp) It doesn't hurt anything. But then again i have an interstate megatron battery and a 94 amp alternator in an 85 S10, so I don't have a bunch of electronics to contend with either. I've always been a fan of the RF subs. I'm running dual 8" ported setups in my truck and my Firebird and both of them perform well for me.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

and after sub displacement, you should have ~.75 ft^3 which according to eBay that subs requires sealed. I think you'll be fine with that setup. Oh, and I used to sell those proboxes, and i've never had a complaint about them at all. Well constructed and generally loud as hell. But you won't tear the box apart like the eBay ad says.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

better primary electronics>cap

8. denim

denim New Member

that much power and needing small box, maybe brahma 10?

9. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

I'm checking to see if a JL W6 will fit. If it will, I found a decent deal on one.

I've heard good things about the JL sub W6... and it looks good to boot

10. denim

denim New Member

there is a "mini MAG" in the works if you don't need a sub asap

11. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

ok, pardon my last ignorant question; can my current amp run a JL W6 that has dual 4-ohm VC's? Can it run a dual 2-ohm VC sub?

yes, i'm confused... never been an electrical engineer. Took the classes, went Mechanical :big grin:

stole this from another site:

What's this "mini MAG?"

12. nickgonzo

nickgonzo oh ya

Word!

To get the most out of your amp you need a sub that is 4ohms.. I dont think your amp is stable to 1ohm stereo.. so you're stuck with 2ohm stereo. This means that the most you can get out of your amp is at 2ohms stereo (400x2) or 4ohms mono (800x1).

So you need a sub that has a Single Voice coil at 4ohms.. or one with Dual Voice coils of 2ohms each (8ohms each works as well)

A brahma would rock.. an IDMAX as well.

13. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

I've actually never heard a Brahma.
    Would you recommend that over the www.edesignaudio.com 10"?

remember, the sub has to be less than 6.25" or so in depth. Depending on the diameter of the magnet, I might be able to go with 6.5" depth.

14. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

I emailed a guy with a Brahma 10 for sale and he said it won't fit in my box.
    Back to the drawing board

15. denim

denim New Member