Need a NAS

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Euclid, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Euclid

Euclid New Member

My parents really like my SimpleTech SimpleShare NAS device. It's a 500 GB hard drive with a NIC built-in and enough brains to do ftp, etc.

I'd like to get them something similar, but they don't need more than 250 GB. I was thinking maybe there is a quality NAS enclosure that would help save me some money on the deal. Or, maybe you can just recommend a consumer NAS like my SimpleShare.

Any advice? :wavey:

2. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I should add that I have considered just getting them a USB drive and hanging it off the desktop PC. That's an option but I want to see if I can get a NAS for maybe $50 more.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

honestly, unless they need a specific feature of NAS (such as multiple PCs accessing the device at different times without the requirement of the "host" pc to be on) then I would just recommend a USB solution. It's faster, too.

4. Create

Create :free at last:

Is this because cheap NAS doesn't have the hardware to fully use an ethernet pipeline?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

typical networks are still 100Mbps; A good device (note I say good) can get 80% efficiency, so that's 80Mbps. 8Mb in 1MB = 10MB/sec.

USB is 480Mbps. 80% efficiency puts that at 384Mbps. So 48MB/sec.

USB2 is faster than a 100Mbps network. Unless you need the functionality provided by network connectivitiy, you're better-off with a USB2 enclosure.

6. Create

Create :free at last:

I'd just always assummed...

Thank you.