need a little help with my ninja 250

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by huangsta, Aug 2, 2008.

1. huangsta

huangsta OT Supporter

i have a 2006 ninja 250 that has been sitting in my garage for about 1 year since i last rode it.

i tried to start it a couple of days ago and the battery is about dead. the gauges still light up but nothing happens when i press the ignition button.

now if i try to push start it or jump it, would the battery be able to charge itself back? or would i need to buy a battery charger? or perhaps a new battery altogether?

i'm also planning to relube the chain and check the tire pressure, but is there anything else important i should check out before riding it again?

i would much rather do as many things as i can myself so i don't get ripped off at a service center, thanks in advance.

2. ///M

///M New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (htc touch : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6900SP)

change the oil?

3. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

Bike's recharge the battery when they are over 5k RPM. Also, I don't suggest you try jumping it. Bumb start it.

4. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I wouldn't expect the battery to come back to life, generally if they sit long enough to discharge that far they're toast. You need a new battery.

Also, if you didn't drain the carbs before storing it, expect it to not start. You'll have to clean the hell out of them... meaning remove them from the bike, take them apart, clean everything, and put them back together. Around here a shop will charge around $80 a carb to do that if you hand them the carbs, more if they need to pull them off the bike.

You should also change the oil, coolant, brake fluid, fork oil, etc.

5. huangsta

huangsta OT Supporter

damn that's not what i wanted to hear. i'm not that good with bikes so it looks like i might have to take it to a shop

6. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

You can try doing new battery (charge it before you use it) + drain the old gas/put in new gas (drain the carbs too) if you want, it won't hurt...

I might have a friend in the area who could do it cheaper than a shop if you want me to ask him.

7. huangsta

huangsta OT Supporter

cool could i have his contact info?

8. squid

squid braap

Find someone with a battery tender (or buy one, they're 30 bucks and totally useful) and trickle charge the battery. There's a chance it's still got a little life in it, but the bike probably won't revive it on it's own.