Need a little help.... v.wheresthebass?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jared_IRL, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

So I have a silly little system in my Scion xB. Right now, i'm still 'testing' the setup before I replace the equipment with better stuff, but I want to make sure everything is going to work the way I want before I spend the $$

So, right now there are some old busted RF 10"s I found in my garage hooked up through a Clarion 7 band electronic eq, and into a RF sub amp. Not sure of the models of any of the stuff off hand...

The sub boxes were custom built to fit under the driver/pax seat, and the electronics placed into the storage area under the trunk, next to the spare tire.

The idea was a moderate amount of bass, but a completely stealth install...

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that thats out of the way, onto the problem....

Up until last week, everything was working fine... At this point, I had the system connected to a US amp. I chose the US amp over the RF one because it had more power. But I discovered after a week that it was too large for the area I had, and it was forcing the RCA's to rub against the side of the enclosure, thereby slowly grinding into the RCA wire - causing the sub to short....

So I swapped the amps, and in the process I think I f'ed up something, and the bass seems to clip around 50. It won't hit any lower.... To me, this doesn't make any sense, unless the power of the amp is *that* much less that it can't push the speakers....

Oh, and I did go from 1 channel bridged connecting both speakers, to 2 channels, 1 to each sub.... The RF amp doesn't bridge, for some reason...

Although right now it hits harder in the mids/high lows than it used to...

So, here's where I need some help...

1. I'm looking for a good sound range testing CD. Something that goes from high to low, that will help me identify the cutoff point, and help me identify any weak sound areas...

2. Any ideas why this would happen with just an amp swap? Could it be a power issue?

2. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

You sure you have it set on low pass filter and the frequency turned down?

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

honestly, no. I'm not too sure of any of it... I haven't had a chance to look at it since the day I installed it... The wife drives it most days...

I should have more time tonight or tomorrow. But I just wanted to get some advice on what to look for before I get in there....

I'm 90% sure I didn't hit anything on the EQ, and I remember setting the amp to 'pass thru'....

Also, any ideas on a test track?

4. Kieffer87

Well I'm almost positive you don't have your low pass filter on. That would explain why you arn't getting any low bass and it hitting higher in the frequency range than normal. If your amp doesn't have a filter maybe your deck does.

Not sure of any good cds

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

The low pass filter should just limit the highs, right? Not increase the low frequencies....

I think thats probably why i'm hitting in the mids, but the lack of lows is still killing me....

I think i'm going to create an audio test CD...

6. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn

7. tjamz

tjamz New Member

Sounds like after you switched the amps out, you may have inadvertently wired one of the subs out of phase (wired it backwards) so that when one is pushing, the other is pulling and effectively canceling each other out.

8. Kieffer87

Yes the filter cuts out any frequencies higher than what you set it to. So if you don't have it on then you will get the full range of frequencies. You would be surprised how different it will sound switching it on and off.