need a little help v.im scared

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by newports01, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newports01

newports01 > than U

i am 22 years old,5'6 and 210 pounds.... well my brother just passed away froma heart attack and he was built about like me.. the doc said it was from him being over weight!.. i never looked at myself being supper fat but just needing to loose some weight.. so now im scared.. i went and joined a gym but dont know the first place to start... i have cut out cokes and basicly been eating subway wheat subs.. but i have no idea where to start... the past couple days that i have went i have been doing the bikes for like 30 mins and eleptical? machine for 30... What excersizes should i be doing and how long should i be doing them for?? also lemme add that i was in a car wreck a few years back and i have pins in my left leg so its kinda hard for me to run...

2. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

you have a good start with joining a gym. One thing to keep in mind is you NEED to edit your diet. Start to find healthy snacks instead of those that are bad for you. I have also had alot of problems with my legs as I had a big fall a few years back. I am able to run on the eliptical but not on a treadmill without pain. I'd advise you to push yourself on that.

my 2 cents

3. truth

truth Don't just stand there, bust-a-move!

think long term

read this to get an idea of how to eat healthy

http://challenge.1fast400.com/challenge_9.html

--

as far as training...i would recommend starting off doing a full body circuit style using compound exercises

i prefer dumbbell since i don't like asking for spots all the time but it's up to you

do this (pick a weight that you can only do that many reps for. so i say 4 reps for bench, don't pick a weight that you can pump out 8, if you can, you need to bump up the weight)

bench 4 reps
    squat 6 reps
    shoulder press 4 reps
    lat pulldown 6 reps

repeat this at least 2 more times, maybe 3 later on

after this do a couple sets of 20 reps of abs. basic crunches and "super crunches" (you lift your legs and you crunch them in as you crunch your abs)

also do a couple sets of 10 reps of db preacher curl

do this on monday and friday (or day A and C)

on wednesday (or day B)

incline
    leg press
    shoulder press
    low cable row

abs after workout
    some tricep work if you choose (i didn't start doing triceps until at least a month later)

--

some people will say this is too basic, some people will realize it's actually a pretty solid program.

there are too many newbs thinking they have to do crossover cable to get those extra cuts and tricep kickback to bring out those heads, etc. that shit isn't going to come unless you have a solid foundation and you get to a lower bf%

don't confuse yourself with bullshit (there is a LOT of it in the world of bodybuilding/fitness/nutrition)

good luck

4. newports01

newports01 > than U

thanks so much for the input... is there any supliments you guys would recomend for me to take?? like trimspa and these sorts of things.. please dont flame i have never tried these so i dont know about them

5. jonno

jonno New Member

multi vitamin + fish oil caps

6. newports01

newports01 > than U

i work in the mall next to gnc.. so if there are anything you guys recomend... i can go look right now... so these fat burners(pills) are bullshit or?

7. SteveO

SteveO Guest

drop the trimspa, just do it the old fashioned way. You have no need for a fat burner. Watch your calories, eat cleanly, drink lots of water. Get a good balance of lean protein sources, complex/fibrous carbs, and good fats (nuts, oils)

8. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

Sigh. I wish it wouldn't take the death of a family member for some people to realize they need to lose weight.

9. SteveO

SteveO Guest

yeah it's sad that's what it comes down to. Same thing goes for smokers

10. Sh0kka

Sh0kka New Member

im sorry for you, your brother,family and everyone who knew him personally

11. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

weird enough but what did it for me is Butterly effect I think when the old lady her mom I think is lying in bed...that was like :ugh:

sometimes that light bulb goes off and that's all it takes, but I agree it's a shame thats what it takes sometimes

12. etech

etech New Member

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Mine passed away from a heart attack from diabetic complications a few years ago.

May I suggest...

First, make a doctor's appointment. You need to know your cholesterol levels, blood pressure and so forth. Tell the doc you want to start exercising and lose weight and see what advice he has about intensity.

Research the recomendations for and know what metabolic syndrome is.

Don't underestimate the benifits of a good long walk, 30 to 45 minutes, each day. Buy a good pair of shoes to save your feet. It's also a great stress relaxer, get up early on the weekend and watch the sun come up as you walk.

As already stated, start weight training, just work you way into it slowly and it would be good to have your doctor's appointment/blood pressure checked before you do.

I would not start on any weigh loss supplements. Look into fish oil caps and start planning on eating tuna or salmon a couple of times a week.

The Dash diet would also be something good for you to research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.