Need a little computer help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by n1ck54, Sep 26, 2007.

1. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

so my computer keeps fucking up. basically when i try to turn it on it sounds like its starting up, but then it just starts beeping. like a slow beep that goes off every couple of seconds and theres no activity on the monitor. if i leave it for like ~a day it will eventually turn on, go into bios and say something like 'the last time your computer tried to start up it hung for an improper cpu setting', even though i check and all of the settings seem to be correct. then i just exit bios and my computer works perfectly, untill the next time it freezes and wont start up. the fuck is going on here, any advice?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

1. reset cmos

2. change bios settings (could be 2 things)
    -if problem occurs with default bios settings, change the settings manually.
    -if problem occurs with manual bios settings, set to auto or load default settings.

if those don't work,...
    1. reinstall cpu
    2. test ram
    3. check power supply

3. the Vocalist

the Vocalist New Member

You can also check for a bios update

4. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

how do i reset cmos?

also i tried setting the settings back to default and the same thing was happening, so im not sure what to manually set things to.

5. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

this brings me to my next problem, my ethernet card. it wasnt being recognized so i screwed it in a little tighter. now it shows up in the hardware manager however it says that it is unable to start, so i cant access the internet. any ideas on this one? at least with the other problem it lets me do everything for awhile before it shuts down, not having the net sucks

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

power off computer, unplug from wall, press power button to discharge remaining power on mobo, open case

read your mobo manual, look for cmos jumpers (some mobos have a cmos toggle switch), set jumpers to cmos clear, wait a few minutes (5-10 mins), set jumpers back to normal, then boot.

If you can't find the jumpers, remove the cmos backup battery (looks like a watch battery), wait a few minutes, install it back, then boot.

7. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

thanks man i'll give it a try the next time my comp shuts off and wont come back on

have any ideas about what might be wrong with my ethernet card?

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

delete it from device manager, reboot, OS should detect it, install latest drivers