GUN need a little advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by net_prophet, Feb 4, 2007.

1. net_prophet

net_prophet Tactical Texan

Haven't done much rifle shooting before but I'm currently stationed in Germany and can't have any of my own guns here. Luckily there is a rod and gun club where I can rent some guns but all you can do there is shoot skeet and shoot on the 100yd range. I've been shooting there a couple of times with the same rifle, a bolt action Sauer in .308 and I really like it but want to improve some. The RO said I was doing pretty good considering the cheap reloaded ammo they make you use and the cheap scope on the rifle. Other than more practice, which I will be doing anyway, what are some of the main things to focus on for being more consistent?

[​IMG]

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Breath control, natural point of aim, trigger control, bone support, good shooting posture, sight picture, sight alignment... the abc's of shooting.

Iron sight shooting will help, before moving on to glass.

3. net_prophet

Well all the rifles they have to rent are scoped except for a AR15A2 would practicing with it more better than the other? :dunno: Last time I rented it someone had the sites horribly jacked up. I fired 50 rounds and missed the paper every time :ugh: but didn't know it because I didn't have a spotting scope to see where or if I was hitting. I was not a happy camper after that and haven't rented that gun since.

4. Thunderbear

Do you know how to perform a battlesight zero?

A large portion of long guns need to be zeroed by the individual user. ARs are very user specific.

5. net_prophet

Sure do, think I am the only one in my squadron who remembers how (Air Force) but I didn't because the RO asked me not to adjust the sights because I might mess them up, course this was before we realized I had missed the paper fifty times. :squint: Later he apologized and muttered something about re-zeroing it and gluing the sites.

6. Thunderbear

Well, center the sights, and flush the front sight post, and perform the BZO. Write the BZO data down and put it in your wallet, so you can rezero the weapon to you each time you use it. You should be able to notice an improvement fairly soon. Keep working on a shooting posture with good bone support and minimal muscle interference. Get the natural point of aim by sighting in on the target, and closing your eyes and relaxing. When you open your eyes, the point of aim has shifted. Adjust your position until natural point of aim is the desired point of impact. Breathe normally, firing during the natural respiratory pause after the exhale. Slow steady squeeze to the rear, holding the trigger back past the firing break point, then slowly releasing it. I'm assuming you know about proper sight picture and sight alignment, so I won't go into that.

7. net_prophet

I will definetly have to work on my natural point of aim, neve really heard of that before. Now I need to go shooting again. :x: thanks for the input

8. net_prophet

anyone else?

9. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Do you know what the gun laws are in Germany? How old you have to be to purchase one, etc..

10. net_prophet

Not sure about age but if you are an American service member and actively participate in sport shooting or complete there hunting course you can apply for a firearms license. The whole process takes 6-12 months. I can get more specifics for you if need be.