Need a laptop...reccomendations?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drjamima, Sep 9, 2006.

1. drjamima

drjamima Active Member

I want 80-100gb hard drive

At least 1024mb of DDR RAM

Video Card....something decent that can run games and movies comfortably...

And I'm not feeling HP or Gateway on this one.

Price ceiling is $1500- $1750

Help OT

2. drjamima

drjamima Active Member

I haven't heard much about them...They good?

3. drjamima

drjamima Active Member

I think I'm gonna go with a Acer Aspire 5670. 2gb RAM, 120 gb hard drive, 5400 rpm...price is just about right...though the GHz are a bit low at 1.66...is that gonna affect the performance much?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I would get something with a faster CPU. 1.66GHz is slow by today's standards -- UNLESS it's a dual-core, in which case you'll be fine. It will still feel slower than "normal", but it won't bog down easily.

The 2GB of RAM is a very good idea. With that much RAM, you can shut off the pagefile on the hard drive, which means Windows won't drain your laptop battery with its overly aggressive swapping policy.

The hard drive is too big to have such low RPMs. If you don't want to shell out the cash to get a big 7200RPM drive, then buy the smallest, slowest drive you can stand to put up with, so you can save some money towards putting in a 7200RPM drive later on. Also, don't buy a laptop with an IDE hard drive -- IDE is dead, except for long-term storage. SATA is the future, you might as well buy it.

5. drjamima

drjamima Active Member

Thanks for the input. I went back to double check, and it is a dual-core, and it's also 2.0GHz rather than 1.6. The hard drive is SATA...but with Acer I haven't seen much faster than 5400rpm. The one that first caught my eye was 4600 and so even 5400 is a step up...With a 120 gb hard drive and only 5600 rpm's...what are the implications/potential problems?

6. deusexaethera

The CPU is good enough, then. It should be usable for several years.

The main problem with hard drives in general is that they have tiny little magnetic readers and huge (by comparison) platters. Since the readers can only read one point on the platters at any given time, the speed with which the readers can line themselves up with the data that needs to be read is very important.

The readers can only move in one axis, so speeding up the motor that moves the readers can't compensate for a slow platter spindle -- even if the readers are already on the right track, they still have to wait for the platters to spin around far enough for the requested data to be underneath them. Therefore, the faster the spindle can spin, the sooner the data will be available.

If you can't get a 7200RPM drive for your laptop, then I would get the smallest drive you can find so you can save money for a better drive later on. They're easy to upgrade; slide the drive out, unscrew it from the carrier, and screw the new drive in place. It's a two-minute job -- just make sure to back up all the data on the old drive, so you can copy it to the new one.

If you have a desktop PC with SATA drives, you can connect the old laptop drive to it (SATA drives all use the same plugs, finally) and copy the data to the new laptop drive that way.

In short: it's not very hard to install a better drive when you need it. Save your money now and spend it later.

7. drjamima

drjamima Active Member

:h5: awesome thanks

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm surprised...noone has suggested the IBM laptops. I thought OT was all about IBM laptops or was that just jollyogre?? :confused:

9. deusexaethera

Jollyogre was the main driving force behind much of the overt, assholish techno-bigotry in this forum. Everybody has their preferences, most people know what stuff is a better value, but most people don't bash other people for not having the same opinion.

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yeah, I know jolly was a big part of that stuff but I also saw others that hailed the IBMs as excellent machines and virtually indestructable....so it's kinda strange to not see anyone mentioning them in this thread.

11. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

well im mentioning them in this thread ;)

if you want a quality laptop that will last and won't die on you get an ibm or an asus