need a jap bike, best bang for the buck

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by F-Zer0, May 24, 2003.

1. F-Zer0

F-Zer0 Guest

whats best? im thinkin a suzuki gsxr 600

i got $2000, and if i get that extra $3000 from my "resources" ill have 5k to spend on a bike, so whats the best deal huh??

im sick of fuckin cars cuz theyre nuttin but a pain in the ass to me. this will be my first bike. i dont want something slow and i dont want something that looks like crap.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2003
  2. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

Cbr > *

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

If you've never ridden before, you don't want a gixxer or R6. Compared to cars, even a 500 will seem fast.

4. Ramedogg1983

Ramedogg1983 Guest

Dude, u totally want a gsxr 600 :bowdown: . Except for this years new r6, they are like scooters. I had an '03 gixxer and rode my friend's '01 r6, it felt lighter and the tank was a bit skinnier but the power was just not there. My gixxer woulda taken him no problem. I have respect for the cbr's, but my bias would tell me to tell you to get a gixxer. Great fucken ride :bigthumb: But u should also think insurance wise as well prior to buying. The gixxer is the most crashed (as in i crashed mine in the canyons on a turn with god awful gravel) and stolen bike so the insurance on it was very expenisive. Cbr insurance isnt too bad but if u can afford the extra rate, go with the gixxer, everyone has respect for them over almost every bike except the r1 which still doesnt match to the gsxr 1000.

Good luck and you'll love to ride regardless of the bike u choose to ride.

Rider for life....ill be back out there soon enough, ride safe man

5. jerky1280

jerky1280 Guest

I wouldn't recommend a new sportbike for your first ride. I'd say go with a 500 or older 600.

6. Ramedogg1983

Ramedogg1983 Guest

I think it all depends on you. If you'll be smart about riding or not. My 600 was my first bike as was the same with all my friends. We didnt have any problem cuz we rode pretty safe. My accident was unfortunate but be as long as you're smart in what u want outa it as well as how u will ride, then i think you'll be okay.

7. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

I predict a very short life for your Gixxer (and maybe even you).:sadwavey:

8. jaX teh haX

jaX teh haX Guest

I have friends who started on liter bikes 2 years ago and have still never gone down. That 600cc shit is getting lame. As long as you can respect the bike and don't go throttle-happy, you'll be fine.

9. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Not only are your friends morons, but I bet they have absolutely no skill. Poseur anyone?

F-Zer0 -- you want a bike for all the wrong reasons. Do yourself a favor and stick to cars.

10. autox

autox OT Supporter

For everyone 1 person willing to start riding the right way there seems to be 5 to 10 that want to start on a 600SS and higher. Yes we all see the temptation, but play it safe start on something small with little or no plastic, then you can get whatever bike once you learn how to really ride.

11. Wolf

If you pick your bike based on what people will respect, you're riding for the wrong reasons. Go back to racing Civics and leave bikes for people who enjoy riding, not posing for teenyboppers at Starbucks.

12. iguana

iguana Guest

Bullshit.

I owned a '94 EX500 (500R) for a long time, as my first bike. Then I got a CBR600 (F4). Now it's sold and I'm picking up a 929 tomorrow.

I *wish* I had my F4 4 months earlier. The bike is light, easy to turn,
    easy to shift, and just easy to ride.

The EX500 can't turn, is much heavier than the CBR, and simply lacks
    the power to take you out of troubling situations. When people start riding they tend to stay in too low of a gear, and the EX has NO power down low -- which means that instead of getting on the throttle smoothly and learning good throttle control, people jam on the throttle to stay out of bad situations.

Here's what anyone considering a motorcycle should do:
    (1) buy a POS $1000 (or less) bike. Mid 80's japanese bikes are
    great. Forget what it looks like, etc.
    (2) practice for a month or so, in a large parking lot.
    (3) practice on the street for another month
    (4) buy a slightly used 600cc sport bike (under $6k)

EX500's run $2-$3k, weigh considerably more than recent 600's,
    and look like crap.
    I've been riding for a while, and I know people ride for the thrill and the sport, but just about everyone start riding because "bikes are so cool" -- why discourage yourself on a crappy bike?

People like to wax poetic about the awesome EX500's, but they forget that the bikes in question, that smoke 600's on the track, etc. are RACE MODIFIED. Yeah, with $5k in suspension components and a built engine, it isn't all that difficult!!!

Stock EX500 == crap

13. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Don't you think your prior experience has something to do with the F4 being easy to ride?

I think you're wrong here. The newer bikes actually make very little torque down low. They are made to have power higher up in the RPM range. Now I'm not saying that they are dogs down low but I think a Ninja 500 has more torque at the same RPM (say 5,000) than a F4. It's the nature of it being a twin.

Also it's not "much heavier" than a newer bike. I would compare the Ninja 500 to a F2, 3, or 4 and here's the stats:

Ninja 500 Wet Weight-432 lbs
    F2 Wet Weight-453 lbs
    F3 Wet Weight-458 lbs
    F4 Wet Weight-435 lbs

I agree with this. Although I think that someone should practice for more than a month... Everytime you ride, should be considered practice. And although you did not mention it, I'm sure that you meant to include buy quality gear and take the MSF.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience on the Ninja 500 sucked. Although I wouldn't buy one for myself, I think they are a good starter bike.

14. iguana

iguana Guest

My prior experience of being able to control the motorcycle and shift gears, yes. My 6 months of shitty riding on the EX500, no.

I disagree. The EX500 engine is NOT tuned to be very aggresive, compared to the newer bikes.
    It is a well known fact that 4 cylinder bikes make less torque than twins,
    but this would refer to similar displacement and similar engine tuning. The RC51 makes more torque down low than 929's and R1's, and that is not contested. But the EX500 is simply not aggresively tuned, and therefore has less torque down low.

Also, the EX500 is not a V-Twin, it is a Parallel twin, so their torque advantage is not as significant.

Not sure where the weight quotes are from. The F4 is 370 lbs dry.
    The EX500 varies by year, but is near 420 dry. (Mine was...) The frame is completely different -- it is just slightly more aggresive than a standard with some plastic.

Yeah, I did mean quality gear and MSF, those are *musts* for everyone.
    A month is plenty, all you need to do is learn how a motorcycle functions. After that, a slightly used 600 is perfect.

The EX500 is water cooled which is a complete waste (Radiator, coolant add weight). This is where the GS500e is much better.

Me too :)

I would *highly* advise against EX500's. If you *must* have a 500cc bike for $2k, I would recommend the GS500e...

15. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

F4i dry was 370 pounds...4.5 gallons of gas = lets say 400 pounds.

16. aftershock

aftershock Guest

F4i tank empty: 410lbs
    tank full: 439

17. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

i learned to ride on an old suzuki DR200..i rode that a bunch over a the course of a summer, then it seized due to oil loss....now i ride a ninja 250 the most, and it is way to small for me...and i really feel like its lacking power...especially to move my 185lb 6'3" body...now, i havent actually "owned" my own bike as in -its in my name-, but I STILL get assholes telling my not to get a 600...im not a retard...i will get a 600...and thats because i know its not me that i am going to have to concentrate on, but other idiot drivers...

and even when i do get my cbr600rr, i plan on riding it in a parking lot extensivly, even if i have been riding for a while, every bike is different...

it just pisses me off when people say to me..."dont get a 600 for your first bike"... it always seems like they are saying it as if they are elitist pricks who have earned their right to a 600cc+ seat and dont want "newbies" making their love of bike riding easy to acheive...

i want a bike because i LOVE to ride, i have no one to impress except my own genitals...i seriously get giddy after riding a bike...

i understand that people who have never riddin a bike should not go out and BUY a 600 supersport bike...but if they arent smart enough to heed that advice then they deserve to waste their money and get seriously injured (to some extent)

i guess im done getting all that off my chest. sorry if you disagree with any of it...just my .02$

18. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I *am* an elitist prick when it comes to riding an I *have* earned the right to say that no new rider should be anywhere near a 600 supersport. Anybody who disagrees with me is a naive, snot nosed n00b who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

19. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

OMG :rolleyes: :slap: get over yourself...

20. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Listen to those who know better than you do. Be smart and learn from other people's experiences.

21. Wolf

Most ignorant comment ever.

"Don't want newbies making their love of bike riding easy to acheive"?? That's the whole point, new riders think it is easy to acheive. They think that all they have to do is go buy an R6/600RR and they're gonna be the next Biker Boy. By more experienced riders telling them to start smaller, they're trying to educate the newb into seeing that it takes a hell of a lot more than just a shiny new bike to be a competent rider, and the best/fastest path to becoming a competent rider isn't by buying a 600cc superbike to start on.

22. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

i understand them saying it to a newb.. but i said..."when people say to me"...not "when people say to newbs"

i know its not easy to acheive...i was fortunate to have my dad and 2 of his friends teach me wisely about riding motorcycles...

but wolf... i appreciate your approach to my response...

23. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

It's really difficult to not come out swinging when you make uninformed posts saying that you're sick and tired of people saying that 600's aren't good for new riders... when you don't even ride on the street yourself.

When it comes to street riding, if you've never been on the street, then you are a noob. Just like I'm a noob to dirt riding and you would probably not suggest that I start out on the biggest, baddest dirt bike I can get.

24. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

i've ridden on the street for a good while though, on the 250...

all i was saying was that i really dont consider myself a noob anymore...and i think too many experienced riders throw out the phrase "get a 600 and you WILL kill yourself"just to say it...

edit: i didnt mean to rub anyone the wrong way about this subject...i apoligize

25. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

I am tired of laying out the speeches for the newbs buying a sportbike for their first bike......

so with that I will just say don't do it

buy something cheaper...and less powerful.

I have an 03 R6 as my second bike.....it still is alot of bike and I have been riding for 5 years. Its faster than anything else its size. ANyone who says different needs to look how many races the R6 has won...not to mention how many races it has taken more than one if not all the podium positions so far this year.

Sorry...had to get in my jaunt about the 6 :big grin: